[Solved] Data Bars with OpenOffice Calc?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Jay_Dee

[Solved] Data Bars with OpenOffice Calc?

Post by Jay_Dee »

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to implement the features shown in the video I uploaded but using OpenOffice. I have a column of data and want to use that range of data to create a histogram/relative bars in that column(I do not want to make a bar graph. That would be something completely different. I understand how to do that and it will not work for the project I need to complete). Both Excel and LibreOffice have this "data bars' presets/drop down in conditional formatting. I have looked online and tried messing around with OpenOffice for hours and have failed to figure out how to do Data Bars.

Thank you for any help!

****UPDATE What I am wanting to do cannot be done with OpenOffice for now******
Last edited by Jay_Dee on Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Data Bars with OpenOffice Calc?

Post by Zizi64 »

The Apache OpenOffice has not such feature (yet).

Use the LIbreOffice if you must use the Data Bars.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Jay_Dee

Post by Jay_Dee »

Zizi64 wrote:The Apache OpenOffice has not such feature (yet).

Use the LIbreOffice is you must use the Data Bars.
Okay thank you :(
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Jay_Dee wrote:Hello Everyone!

I am trying to implement the features shown in the video
I do not see the video link but here is a link to a video that shows how to create a histogram in AOO Calc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suFPnBV_NU4. I have not tried it but it looks fairly straight-forward if a trifle tedious.

If you are likely to be doing a lot of statistical graphing I'd recommend a real graphing package. Depending what you are doing both R and
Gnuplot have their good points.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The "Data bars" is a feature in the Excel an the LO. This shows graphical bars in the cells instead of the pure numeric data:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiYfijdr4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUaIpG4zHKQ

(These videos are similar to the originally linked one)

It is a improved Conditional Formatting feature. The AOO has not such feature. I can not decide if it is an useful feature or not...
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Jay_Dee,

please do not erase the helper links (or other information) from your previous posts!
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Zizi64 wrote:The "Data bars" is a feature in the Excel an the LO. This shows graphical bars in the cells indstead of the pure numeric data:

It is a improved Conditional Formatting feature. The AOO has not such feature. I can not decide if it is an useful feature or not...
Looks like a rather silly gimmick to me; they are just bar-plots the same as Calc produces. They are not histograms.

If Jay_Dee (the OP) really needs a histogram, a Data bar on the raw data is useless at best.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

It's annoying and also astonishing to see the impact of such toy features. If spreadsheets continue to develop in that direction it will be unavoidable to deprecate them for serious tasks. The implementation in LibO as a new 'All Cells' mode under ConditionalFormatting completely goes beyond the reasonable scope of that useful feature. Next time charts will play songs, and sheet tabs will show videos.
Sorry. I missed to label this as a personal opinion. Move the post virtually to the 'General Discussion' branch.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Lupp wrote: If spreadsheets continue to develop in that direction it will be unavoidable to deprecate them for serious tasks.
I consider them too dangerous to use for anything beyond a grocery shopping list. Have you read of the Reinhart and Rogoff mess?
Jay_Dee

Post by Jay_Dee »

jrkrideau wrote:
Zizi64 wrote:The "Data bars" is a feature in the Excel an the LO. This shows graphical bars in the cells indstead of the pure numeric data:

Looks like a rather silly gimmick to me; they are just bar-plots the same as Calc produces. They are not histograms.

If Jay_Dee (the OP) really needs a histogram, a Data bar on the raw data is useless at best.
Actually in my situation it is a histogram. I am a active day trader. I am using a spreadsheet to create a template/photo for my buddy who is helping me develop my own price ladder/dom. This template would give us visual reference how the we want the DOM to look, Price ladders/DOMs(or level2/Order book.. tons of names) is a tool/feature within trading software that have a vertical list of prices. The video I posted below should be a decent example of what I am referring to. Notice the dark blue histogram up and down the entire "ladder". That blue histogram translates to all the volume that has transacted at each price level, called the volume profile. This shows varying interests of prices in the auctioning process/order flow of trading that particular financial product.

*** Start video at 10:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7EHoHgPTfs
Jay_Dee

Post by Jay_Dee »

Here is a good video explaining a Price Ladder/Depth of Market that shows and explains the "volume profile" portion that I was trying to mimic on a spreadsheet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_GhCORZyY
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Who remembers the (about) y2k bubble burst? (NASDAQ, dotcom/ In Germany "Neuer Markt")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NASD ... _small.png

Please remove the spam link.

(Spoken aside: Couldn't everybody trade their days elsewhere?
Why do people so readily make an effort to get effortless earnings?
They must be fond of such a paradox and of self-contradiction.
Probably there should be a rule that a day trader at least should know his community-driven, free-of-charge spreadsheet software.
In 1999/2000 I took part in training a young would-be teacher. One day he told me he felt demotivated because he earned more by speculative trading than he could expect to get paid as a profssional teacher. A short time later he broke off.
I don't know, but I suspect he may now neither be rich nor a teacher.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Jay_Dee

Post by Jay_Dee »

Lupp wrote:Who remembers the (about) y2k bubble burst? (NASDAQ, dotcom/ In Germany "Neuer Markt")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NASD ... _small.png

Please remove the spam link.

(Spoken aside: Couldn't everybody trade their days elsewhere?
Why do people so readily make an effort to get effortless earnings?
They must be fond of such a paradox and of self-contradiction.
Probably there should be a rule that a day trader at least should know his community-driven, free-of-charge spreadsheet software.
In 1999/2000 I took part in training a young would-be teacher. One day he told me he felt demotivated because he earned more by speculative trading than he could expect to get paid as a profssional teacher. A short time later he broke off.
I don't know, but I suspect he may now neither be rich nor a teacher.)

-Please remove your spam link as it has no benefit to this conversation.

-:lol: Effortless? Paradox? You sound just like the rest of them. Typical.
-If you are German(as I can tell you are something by lack of the English language) I thank you people and your Country for the Eurex Exchange. My primary product is the Bund! :bravo:

-In 13 years I have never had to make a spreadsheet for trading. I have been trading for a living for over 9 years. Our software provides phenomenal analytics.

-The worse, more often than not, traders are teachers/professors.

-Not every investor/trader is rich or just getting by, but there are both. Just like the teachers who make $3000/mo living pay to pay check. Same as highly successful Professors making 100s of thousands of dollars per year.

-Trading and Investing are 2 different realms. You forgot the 07-9 Financial Crisis/bear market, 2010 1000pt DJ30 flash crash etc. I do not know why you are bringing this up. This clearly shows you have no idea what you are talking about...
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

It seems our points of view aren't fully compatible. (I couldn't find the emoticon with the tear in the eye.)

Just one remark in return. The "efforts to get a chance at effortless earnings" was a wilful attempt to create a kind of pun based on a superficial contradiction in itself. Less than phenomenal analytics may nonetheless unveil that efforts may contribute to common wealth in goods and real services - or may not.

To get to the point: I voluntarily contribute to this forum for reasons you may guess correctly or not. I don't exactly like to support "day trading" by my kind of investment.
---
Lupp from München
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Jay_Dee wrote:Here is a good video explaining a Price Ladder/Depth of Market that shows and explains the "volume profile" portion that I was trying to mimic on a spreadsheet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_GhCORZyY
I will leave you and Lupp to fight out the career choices.

As far as I can see, at least without some sophisticated macro programming that is outside my skills the only way to get real histograms is Calc is illustrated in the video linked in my earlier post.

I had a look at your video; are you sure that those blue bars are histograms? I got the impression that they were a bar plot of the number of transactions at some (price?) point. In which case, you have a bar plot of the sums of the counts of the transaction at each point. Excuse me if i am being obtuse, I just have never seen a data display like that.