Bult-In Functions and named Cells

Discuss the spreadsheet application

Bult-In Functions and named Cells

Postby CaveDweller » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:12 am

Hello. I have recently discovered the ability to assign names to cells or more formally to ranges of cells.

I am trying to set the value of a cell to be equal to =MAX(name1; name2; name3) + 3, where name1, name2, and name3 are single-cells ranges named as such containing integer numbers and being part of the same spread-sheet. Well, I get the #NAME? error. Is it because MAX can't accept cell ranges at all and is unable to convert a single-cell range into a cell?

Am I to expect this kind of behaviour from all functions?

- Thank you.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
CaveDweller

Re: 1) Bult-In Functions and named Cells

Postby RusselB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 am

The MAX function can accept cell ranges, but I'm unsure about named ranges, as the MAX function will return an error if a string is detected in the parameters.
You could try using Ctlr+Alt+F9 to do a hard recalc of your spreadsheet, which might be required if the MAX function was entered before the range names were assigned.
If the range names were assigned first, or if that doesn't work, then I'd suggest confirming that the cells contain only numbers and that the range names have been assigned correctly.

There is no rhyme or reason as to what functions operate in what manners... some take arrays naturally, some have to be forced, and some just won't... I suspect range names may be along that same line.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RusselB

Re: 1) Bult-In Functions and named Cells

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 am

It works for me in my LibreOffice 6.2.8 version
See my sample file:

MAX_names.ods
(8.91 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Calc