Need a method of getting a number that's circular

Discuss the spreadsheet application
RusselB

Need a method of getting a number that's circular

Post by RusselB »

The subject line is, imo, somewhat misleading as the amount calculated has to be included in the total that the amount is calculated from.

Rate is 30% of Gross, but Rate is added to Gross, giving a new Rate.

What I'm looking for is something like 30%*(G+30%*G)=30%*G
Both G and 30%*G are to be rounded to 2 decimal places

G has to be between 989 and 1787
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Need a method of getting a number that's circular

Post by Zizi64 »

percentage calculations...

Your equotion is:

30%*(G+30%*G)=30%*G
The root of this equotion is the 0 - and only the zero: G must be 0 !

A sample with a simple, and other small numbers:

8 * 25% = 2
8 + 2 = 10

2 / 10 * 100 = 20%
The result is 20% but not not 25% !!!

In other words - If G represents same number in the equotion:
30%*(G+30%*G)=30%*G

then you can simplify it with the G:
30%*(1+30%*1)=30%*1

Change the % to decimal fraction
0.3*(1+0.3)=0.3

Add te constants:
0.3*(1.3)=0.3

Result:
0.39 <> 0.3 !!!

Or - maybe - I not understood, what you want to achieve...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

In memoriam F.G.

Nearly 60 years ago a friend of mine joked: "There are so many things you can expense from the amount you have to pay taxes for. What about expensing taxes, too?"

Well, if we intend to also apply the "new rule" to whatever we get as the interim tax amount, the actual application of the iteration will converge to a tax amount of 0.00. Applying algebra/calculus to the case would also return 0 as the only fixpoint if properly applied.

However, we may restrict the process to one step and then ask for an "effective tax amount" and an "effective rate" by which the original rate must be replaced to get the effective tax amount in one step, but now omitting the "right to expense taxes from tax base".

This way we get a perfectly well defined exercise in algebra without any iteration. Starting with the well-known formula for the tax amount t, namely

Code: Select all

t = A*r
where A is the original base amount and r the original tax rate, we get for the effective tax T by expensing:

T=(A-t)*r
with the one-step-expense-rule and thus

R = r - r*r
for the effective rate. Applied to an original tax rate of (e.g.) 30% this results in 21%. Enjoy your meal.

The fiscal authority will, of course insist on sufficient influx. Their question must be: "If the one-step-expense is introduced by law, what nominal tax rate is then needed to get in the unchanged tax amount?" I'm afraid they won't find a solution in every case depending on the original rate. Have a lot of fun considering the political implications.

In the explained way RusselB may get a result for his question depending on whatver he exactly meant - and what I probably did not exactly understand.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Ok. Allow me to clarify.
I'm moving into a RGI (rent geared to income) building.
One of my income sources has a base monthly amount of $989
They will also cover the rent up to $798.
The RGI rate is 30% of the gross income.
Since the calculated rent, up to the $798 gets added to the $989, the RGI also increases a bit due to the increased gross income.

Hopefully this further explanation will help.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To clarify: "They will also cover the rent up to $798."

Is the 798 the total amount of Rent, or the income on which rent is calculated?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

There should be a contract o any kind of legal text defining the rules of calculating whatever needs be calculated here. Can you quote the respective part of it?
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

@RoryOF: The $798 is the maximum amount for the rent that will be covered by this employer.

@Lupp: There probably is specific text, but I don't have access to it right now.
The general terms for calculating the RGI is that the rent will be 30% of the previous month's gross earnings.