[Solved] Create chart with baseline and data readings

Discuss the spreadsheet application
TiaVali

[Solved] Create chart with baseline and data readings

Post by TiaVali »

I'm new to OpenOffice Calc (and fairly new to spreadsheet creating, in general). I created a graph with a line connecting points on the graph. My first three points are baseline readings. The rest of the points are post-treatment readings. ** I need to remove ONE SEGMENT of the line connecting the points. I ALSO need to insert a vertical line separating my baseline readings and my post-treatment readings. ** I cannot find how to do this. I have searched all kinds of videos on YouTube and done a Google search. Can anyone please help me find information on how I can do what I need to do?

UPDATE - I found where it tells me to double click on the cell and the single click where I want the line to break and then press CTRL+ENTER, but it's removing TWO segments (and also a point that I DON'T want removed).
Attachments
Homework Graph 1.ods
I need to create a line break between points 3 and 4, without removing any of the points.
(16.03 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]; Changed subject, was: New to Calc, Can't figure this out...
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: New toCalc, Can't figure this out...

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
TiaVali

Post by TiaVali »

Zizi64 wrote:Please upload your ODF type sample file here.
What is that?
OpenOffice 4.1.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

ODF is the generic term for OpenOffice/LibreOffice native formats.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TiaVali

Post by TiaVali »

RoryOF wrote:ODF is the generic term for OpenOffice/LibreOffice native formats.
I'm sorry but I still have no idea what this means.
OpenOffice 4.1.5
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What type of file are you using? Upload a sample file that shows the problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Re: New to Calc, Can't figure this out...

Post by robleyd »

[Forum] How to attach a document here Note maximum file size is 128K. If your file is larger, use a file sharing site such as Mediafire and post the link here. The link also contains information on how to anonymise your document if it contains confidential information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
MrProgrammer

Re: New to Calc, Can't figure this out...

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
RoryOF wrote:ODF is the generic term for OpenOffice/LibreOffice native formats.
TiaVali wrote:I'm sorry but I still have no idea what this means.
We wanted you to attach your spreadsheet, and the document itself, not a picture of it, which is often worthless. You've done that now; thank you. To learn more about the term "ODF" go to OpenOffice Help → Index → Search term → ODF file formats.
TiaVali wrote:I'm new to OpenOffice Calc (and fairly new to spreadsheet creating, in general)
Read [Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know. Column A in your attachment does not contain dates; it contains text. (Toggle View → Value Highlighting.) You will want these values to be dates.
TiaVali wrote:I created a graph with a line connecting points on the graph.
No, you created a chart with Insert → Chart. Knowing the correct terms helps you find solutions in the forum.
TiaVali wrote:My first three points are baseline readings. The rest of the points are post-treatment readings. ** I need to remove ONE SEGMENT of the line connecting the points. I ALSO need to insert a vertical line separating my baseline readings and my post-treatment readings.
It's possible to create a vertical separator line, however the approach in my attachment visually separates the data and will be simpler for you. I have put dates in column A and used an XY (Scatter) chart.
202002091642.ods
(19.09 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
TiaVali

Re: Create chart with baseline and data readings

Post by TiaVali »

Thank you so much, @MrProgrammer!

Great info to start me off :-)
OpenOffice 4.1.5
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Create chart with baseline and data readings

Post by jrkrideau »

Note that Mr. P has changed the date column from text to dates which makes much more sense.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04