Calc crashes when copying entire column

Discuss the spreadsheet application
SteveBros

Calc crashes when copying entire column

Post by SteveBros »

This started happening suddenly and is persisting: When I select an entire column, as soon as I select Copy (or use cmd-c) Openoffice crashes. I'm on OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. Rebooting does not help. Any advice? Thanks!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 (Build 9800)
macOS Mojave 10.14.6, Retina 5K, Radeon Pro 580
RusselB

Re: Calc crashes when copying entire column

Post by RusselB »

You could try resetting your OpenOffice User Profile as described here
We have found that resetting the User Profile resolves many issues that suddenly come up when the same command(s) were working properly previously.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try to install the LibreOffice. If it crashes too, then the problem may related to a hardware device (memory) or to the operating system.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
SteveBros

Post by SteveBros »

Thanks to RusselB & Zizi64 for the quick assistance! I've already tried resetting the User Profile but to no avail. I've also tried deleting the OpenOffice folders, uninstalling, and reinstalling OpenOffice. However, I installed LibreOffice and it does not crash when I copy an entire column. I guess I'll switch to LibreOffice if I can't find a solution... on second thought perhaps not. LibreOffice seems to have a serious font problem. The characters are fuzzy and thick.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

LibreOffice seems to have a serious font problem. The characters are fuzzy and thick.
It seems as a videocard problem. Check the OpenGL settings of the LO, and switch off the OpenGL function, if your videocard is not fully compatible with the latest version of the OpenGL standard.

Second tip:
Set the Zoom factor to the ideal value.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
SteveBros

Post by SteveBros »

Turning OpenGL on or off makes no difference in the fonts. Zoom has no effect either. So far LibreOffice is not usable for me. Any further help on either problem would be appreciated. Thanks for the help again!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There is not any problem with the fonts in my LO 6.1.6 on Win7x64Prof and on Win10x64Prof.

The fuzzy font is a rendering problem, and it related to the videocard or to its driver or to the OpenGL feature.

Can you upload two small but high resolution partial screenshot picture (saved from the AOO and the LO) about the problem?
SteveBros

Post by SteveBros »

Sorry, my signature was out of date. I'm on a Mac (see configuration below). I tried to attach a screenshot but it is too big for this forum. I put it on Google Drive at this link. You can see that even the font dropdown items are not sharp.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/121uutH ... sp=sharing
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

You can see that even the font dropdown items are not sharp.
I never use the graphical font preview option in the dropdown. it is enough the names of the fonts for me.
Tools (Preferences on MAC) - Option - Libreoffice - View - Font list - Show preview of fonts.

But, I just tried it in my LO 6-2-8 version. I have not such exotic fonts as you have, but there are other exotic fonts on my Operating system. Here is my sample:
With font preview
With font preview
Without font preview - you can see more font names in the list
Without font preview - you can see more font names in the list
The possible roots of the problem:
- The dropdown (and the font size in the dropdown) too small relative to the display resolution.
- Display driver bug
- The videocard (and its driver) is incompatible with the latest OpenGL standard
https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/History_of_OpenGL
My old, integrated videocard has a very low compatible level. See the AIDA64 report:
OpenGL compatibility of my integrated videocard
OpenGL compatibility of my integrated videocard
OpenGL.png (6.68 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
SteveBros

Post by SteveBros »

Here's my compatibility report below. I also put 2 more screenshots on the google drive to compare OpenOffice the LibreOffice.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 11.20.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 11.20.16 PM.png (55.81 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Always optimize the pictures before you insert/upload them somewhere.

The .png extension is appropriate, because it uses a lossless compression.
You can decrease the color depth to 256 color (it will reduce the 3 bytes/pixel value to 1 byte/pixel)
And you can crop the unrelevant part of the picture.

I am using the free IrfanView image manager software for this tasks. (The IrfanView is not a full featured image editor.)

Here are your huge files directly uploaded (with less than 128 KiB file size):
libreoffice.png
openoffice.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 1.13.57 PM.png
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

How these settings are set in the AOO and LO on your computer? (the Graphics output options)
Graphics output.jpg
SteveBros

Post by SteveBros »

I've tried every combination of the Graphics Output option and the result is identical for each. I've seen more than a few posts on the web complaining about the font rendering in LibreOffice, so perhaps the situation is hopeless. Although, I've also seen some similar complaints regarding macOS Mojave in general. It's interesting that OpenOffice renders the fonts very well... just some strange "distortions" of text in Writer that go away when you scroll. Thanks for the tips on uploading image files.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Such "distortions of text" are probably edge effects from the tiling of areas of the video driver; they may perhaps be eliminated by changing the "antialiasing" and "hardware acceleration" settings in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /View. On a Mac, Options is under preferences.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS