[Solved] Average every n-th column based on condition

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Andyfc

[Solved] Average every n-th column based on condition

Post by Andyfc »

In the attached example-table I have person's names and then a set of data that takes on 4 columns and repeats. The only thing that changes in the data is the first field "Type" and the numbers. As suggested in the example itself, I would like to put in column "Average ALs" the average of all the fields "Points" where "Type"="AL". Accordingly for the other types "M" and "T". The table will expand with time, so that the averages will not stay in columns T, U and V as they are now.

What is the formula to calculate the averages based on the content of field "Type" and looking every 4 columns?
Attachments
beispiel-noten-2.ods
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
LibreOffice 6.4 on Ubuntu 18.04
FJCC

Re: Calculating average every n-th column based on condition

Post by FJCC »

Your data layout makes calculations difficult. I cannot think of a way to calculate averages without manually designating the cells, which will make adding data tedious and prone to error. I suggest you rotate the data as I show in Sheet2 of the attached file. You can then use either AVERAGEIFS() or a Pivot Table (menu Data -> Pivot Table) to easily do the calculations. Right click on the pivot table and select Edit Layout to see how I set it up.
Attachments
beispiel-noten-2_fjcc.ods
(11.38 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

From München. A German teacher.
Attachments
aoo100973exampleAVERAGEIF_1.ods
(14.26 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Andyfc

Post by Andyfc »

Lupp wrote:From München. A German teacher.
Gruß Gott. I see that a colleague figured out what I needed this for! :super: Plus, your solution seems to really work, which impresses me.

I will play with it more as soon as the Winterferien are over and report back, but it looks very promising indeed.
LibreOffice 6.4 on Ubuntu 18.04
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

An additional suggestion: Place the evaluation next to the participants' names.

Also: Most recent data you are working on in sight: Left hand again.
Prepare for the insertion of additional couples of data.
Don't merge cells.
Check for the column names ("Type", "Points") ...
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München