[Solved] Sharing a spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
judgesinel

[Solved] Sharing a spreadsheet

Post by judgesinel »

I have a simple but useful (to me) spreadsheet that others may like to use, certainly I could find nothing like it when I searched. I had some help from this community to get it the way I wanted it. Its not perfect and others may well be able to improve on its functionality.

My problem is that when I go to "Share Document" it says "Changes to formatting attributes like fonts, colours and number formats will not be saved etc." Well there is no point then! Anyone looking at it, especially a user that is not able to understand it, will struggle to use it. Surely this is not true. Certain areas have been highlighted for input areas etc. nothing complicated but visually understandable.

Any input, as usual, will be appreciated.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Sharing a spreadsheet

Post by Bill »

I'm not familiar with this feature, but Google did find this:
Sharing documents (collaboration)
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

judgesinel wrote:I have a simple but useful (to me) spreadsheet that others may like to use …. My problem is that when I go to "Share Document" …
If you just want to offer the spreadsheet to others, all you need to do is put a copy somewhere that they can download. The Share Document feature allows multiple people to access a single spreadsheet concurrently. Is concurrent access to a single, common spreadsheet what you want?
judgesinel wrote:"Changes to formatting attributes like fonts, colours and number formats will not be saved etc." Well there is no point then! Anyone looking at it, especially a user that is not able to understand it, will struggle to use it. Surely this is not true. Certain areas have been highlighted for input areas etc. nothing complicated but visually understandable.
It is formatting changes which are not saved with concurrent access. People can see your formatting. People can change the values. If you don't need concurrent access, everyone using the spreadsheet can view and change both values and formatting.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
judgesinel

Sharing a spreadsheet

Post by judgesinel »

Got it, makes sense. So I'm going here: https://templates.openoffice.org/en/template/guide
judgesinel

Post by judgesinel »

Well that didn't work! Cannot see where to upload the template? On site explanation is atrocious!
Attachments
From point 6 there is nowhere to go?
From point 6 there is nowhere to go?
judgesinel

Post by judgesinel »

Got it, they have definitely missed a step or two. The attached shows top left hand corner of the browser "add content"!
Attachments
OpenOfficeTemplate-instructions2.jpg
OpenOfficeTemplate-instructions2.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 1421 times