[Solved] Protect Cell Formatting

Discuss the spreadsheet application
JamesSmith32

[Solved] Protect Cell Formatting

Post by JamesSmith32 »

Is it possible to protect a cell in such a way that the formatting, for example background colour and border are protected. But the data, in my case simply a number is not protected, allowing it to be modified. I think this probably isnt possible but thought I would ask anyway just to be sure.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.7 Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Protect Cell Formatting

Post by Zizi64 »

When a cell is "protected",(and the Sheet-protection is switched on) then you can not modify either the formatting properties nor the cell content in the protected cells by using the User Interface (using the keys and the mouse...).

Use the "Paste special - Unformatted text" to paste the content, and use the Cell Styles instead of the manual formatting method. then the format properties will not be overwrite by the format properties of the pasted data.

If you use Styles for the formatting of the cells, then you will able to restore all of the (accidentally modified) properties by a double click on the name of the Style).
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
JamesSmith32

Re: Protect Cell Formatting

Post by JamesSmith32 »

Good answer, thanks, this helps heaps.
Open Office 4.1.7 Windows 10