[Solved] Plot two graphs against each other

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Athiril

[Solved] Plot two graphs against each other

Post by Athiril »

I have two columns representing X and Y and empty space then more values for the second graph.

The X values are different, and I want to plot them in the correct place.

For example, let’s say we have (X, Y)
Q,

1, 10
2, 30
4, 45
(Empty)
1.3, 16
2.7, 39
5.9, 78

I want to plot two line graphs. 1, 10 should plot at 1, with a Y value of 10, and 4, 45 should plot at 4 (and not 3) with a value of 45. 1.3, 16 should plot at 1.3 (and not 1) with Y value of 16 as a second line to compare the two datasets

How do I do this?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: How to plot two graphs against each other correctly?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Athiril wrote:I have two columns representing X and Y and empty space then more values for the second graph. The X values are different, and I want to plot them in the correct place.
Arrange your data like this, then create an XY (Scatter) chart:
  X     Y1     Y2
  1     10	
  2     30	
  4     45	
1.3            16
2.7            39
5.9            78
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 08.10.32.png
Athiril wrote:I want to plot two line graphs …
The correct terms are: XY (Scatter) chart with two data series. Knowing the correct terms helps you find relevant topics if you require assistance with Calc.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
FJCC

Re: How to plot two graphs against each other correctly?

Post by FJCC »

If you cannot rearrange your data, you can do the following:

It would be helpful if you had cells that contained the name of the two series. In the attached file I used D1 and E1 for that. Referring to the layout in my file, first select the cells A2:B4 and click the icon to insert a chart. Choose the chart type XY (Scatter).

On the next page of the dialog, be sure the data are set to be in columns and the first row and column are not set as labels.

On the next page of the dialog, put D1 in the box labeled Range For Name. Click the Add button to add a series. You will then see Unnamed Series listed in the Data Series box. In the Data Ranges box, click on Name and put E1 in the box Range for Name. Click on X-Values and put A6:A8 in the box Range For X Values. Click on Y-Values and put B6:B8 in the box Range for Y Values. Now you can proceed with the rest of the chart dialog.
Attachments
TwoSeries.ods
(14.44 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.