[Solved] Display cell content of selectable column

Discuss the spreadsheet application
morphingstar

[Solved] Display cell content of selectable column

Post by morphingstar »

lets say I have 10 adjacent columns. in column 15 I want to see the content of the cell in 1 of the columns on the same row (say 3rd)..
In a separate cell I want to input the desired column number. This refers to column 1 + my input. formula must be independent whether Col1 = A or C or CC.
The input will be a range + validity combination. Selected is a numerical value.
I do not want a REPLACE function like Hlookup.
I simply have a lot of columns which I do not want to see. (avoid HIDE, i want to select!)

I have not recognized how to select a column content using a formula.
I assume it can be done.
Thanks for pointers if already solved.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: display cell content of selectable column - array or not

Post by Villeroy »

=HYPERLINK("#"&ADDRESS(ROW();$X$1)) where X1 is the cell with the column number. This creates a hyperlink selecting the cell at the calculated address.
=INDEX($A1;$J1;1;$X$1) shows the content in this row's (1) A1:J1 at column position X1
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
morphingstar

Re: Display cell content of selectable column - array or not

Post by morphingstar »

thanks, intend to come back to confirm success
OO 4.1.6 on Win10. Member since StarOffice 7. Alternative name "morphingstar2" when other fails. Use Writer, Calc (as DB + Calc), Draw. Impress mainly for Eyedropper and animating GIFs. Updated 20190716.