Insert automatic list of sequential integers

Discuss the spreadsheet application
david7365

Insert automatic list of sequential integers

Post by david7365 »

I would like to insert an automatic list of sequential integers into a selected row or column. I recall that some spreadsheet programs can do this, based on an entered pattern, but I can't find any such ability in OpenOffice Calc even after lots of web searching. And could not find anything in the menu. Probably because I don't know the approved term for this feature. I also couldn't find anything in Help (it complained that I had to choose something for Java--very strange message). OO 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Home. Also wondering why Calc is so hard to use. :crazy:
RoryOF

Re: Calc: Want to insert automatic list of sequential intege

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice, being 32 bit, requires a 32 bit Java downloaded and selected in /Tools /OpenOffice /Java.

Enter your first integer in a cell, click on the cell to select it (heavy black border). In bottom right will be a small black square. Click on this and pull down as far as you want.

If you wish integers separated by a regular interval, enter the first two. Drag down to select them; the bottom cell will have the heavy border and black dot; pull that dot down and you will get the sequence.

The pull the black dot method also works across rows. Open a blank Calc file and play with this until you get familiar with it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Re: Calc: Want to insert automatic list of sequential intege

Post by FJCC »

There is also the menu item Edit -> Fill -> Series. You can highlight a range of cells and fill it using that menu.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
david7365

Re: Insert automatic list of sequential integers

Post by david7365 »

Thank you both for your complete answers, much appreciated.

But in Help, I keep getting an error message: "The OpenOffice configuration has been changed...select the Java runtime environment..."

When I view the Java dialog box, it fills with the name of my only Java, then I click OK. I click on it but nothing happens, then click OK, But still get the error message in Help when I do a search. I would expect OpenOffice to find Java itself silently.

Also, I'm not getting email notifications of replies here. I would expect notification by default. I can't find any account settings for this.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Windows 10 Home.
Is it x32 or x64 bit version of Windows 10?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Your Windows is a 64-bit system whereas OpenOffice is 32-bit software. OpenOffice needs Java only for a few features. The help search requires Java. The help index works without, so you can find something in the F1-help without Java.

Either you download and install a 32-bit Java from https://www.java.com/de/download/manual.jsp (look for "Windows Offline") or you download https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html (choose Windows and x86). Then call Tools>Options>Java and select the Java which is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\...

Or you install the successor to OpenOffice https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ which is availlable as 64-bit software. It hardly depends on Java and any 64-bit Java installed on the 64-bit system will do.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Sequential integers can be generated by dragging down a cell with a number using the cell handle (little square at the cell's bottom-right corner).
Alternatively you can select a column with the start value on top and then Edit>Fill>Series...
Or you may use the ROW function. ROW() returns the number of the current row, ROW()-1 returns one less, ROW(A1) returns 1 because A1 is in row 1. Then drag down the formula.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice