Can't seem to find the correct way to use Solver

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Owler

Can't seem to find the correct way to use Solver

Post by Owler »

I have been given a mistery to solve regarding different numbers.

It's 4 lines of numbers wich are used in a formula and the idea behind it, is that they all give the same result.
The equation is using multiplying and +/- and this should give me 4 results. With the formula MOD(X;Y) this should give me 4 time the same result. I have everything set up in my sheet (I use MAX(4 results)-MIN(4 results) that should give 0), but I'm not able to let solver run all the possible numbers for me.

I have added the file I have made and all the instructions are written on it. Can someone please tell me how I should find this.
All that Solver gives me is an outcome with every number set to it's minimum (that gives indeed 0 on most things and thus gives the correct result; but it's not the answer I'm looking for). Can someone help me with this one and explain with limitation I should put on the cells so that solver finds the result for me.

Thanks a lot already
Attachments
Solver.ods
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Can't seem to find the correct way to use Solver

Post by John_Ha »

I do not have the time to work out what you are doing or trying to do but, even so, it seems you are taking one enormously large step. You need to approach it by several, perhaps many, much smaller, and hence simpler, steps.

First, read about Solver in the Calc Guide. Do the example there. Get it to work. You know know how Solver works on a simple problem.

Now set up a very small problem based on your problem with, say, 1 row of 3 numbers where you know the solution. Use Solver to solve it.

Extend the line until you get the number of numbers your need and solve it.

Add a second line and solve both lines.

Add the final two lines and solve it.

Remember the adage: How do you eat an elephant? With lots and lots of small mouthfuls.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RusselB

Re: Can't seem to find the correct way to use Solver

Post by RusselB »

Go through your spreadsheet and reassess which numbers can be changed for Solver.
You currently have cells that are calculated as being the cells to change. You should be changing numeric cells that are directly entered, not calculated.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.