Password protected spreadsheet (XLS format) opens read-only

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Marlow1

Password protected spreadsheet (XLS format) opens read-only

Post by Marlow1 »

Hello, I am a total newbie having converted from MS Office.
I was advised to safe everything as an xls or .doc in order to send or receive docs from MS users.
I have a passworded spreadsheet and I am trying to edit it. But I am unable to do so as it says Read Only on the top. How do I edit a passworded doc save as .xls. Thank you!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Beginners forum to Calc; Changed title, was: Spreadsheet
OpenOffice 4.1.7 Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Spreadsheet

Post by RusselB »

OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Marlow1 wrote: I was advised to safe everything as an xls or .doc in order to send or receive docs from MS users.
this is very bad advice. You should always save in AOO formats (ods, odt, etc.) Every time you open or save a AOO file in anther format such as xls or doc you are translating it. Over time small translation errors can build up and result in a catastrophic failure. And, good luck trying to recover a corrupt Word file.

It is much better (safer) to save in native AOO formats and only export when you need to exchange a file.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Marlow1 wrote:I was advised to safe everything as an xls or .doc in order to send or receive docs from MS users.
See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save files as, .odt. Create a copy as a .doc.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.