[Solved] Setting default font size for all sheets in a file

Discuss the spreadsheet application
TheMotorcycleBoy

[Solved] Setting default font size for all sheets in a file

Post by TheMotorcycleBoy »

Hi everyone,

I analyse the accounting books of companies, and always start off with a generic spreadsheet called "company.xlsx". Then when I wish to analyse a given company e.g. "Adidas" I make a copy of this file e.g. to "adidas.xlsx", and off I go. One thing I'd like to solve is that although I have my sheets set up as "Arial 8", whenever I add a new sheet the new sheet gets created as "Arial 10", so I end up having to select all cells and resetting the size to 8. Is there a way I can set all of the sheets in the spreadsheet to be "Arial 8?"

many thanks
Matt
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 on Ubuntu 18.04
RusselB

Re: Setting the default font size for all sheets in a file

Post by RusselB »

Yes this can be done by creating a new default template.
See [Tutorial]Creating a new default template

Please note that we will not and can not guarantee there will be no problems if you continue to insist on using Microsoft's .xlsx format.
Additionally, OpenOffice does not support saving in that format. LibreOffice does support it.
Please use the User Control Panel to correct your Forum signature, as, currently it shows an invalid version.
Either change the OpenOffice to LibreOffice and/or change the 6.0.7.3 to the correct version number.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
TheMotorcycleBoy

RusselB wrote:Yes this can be done by creating a new default template.

Please note that we will not and can not guarantee there will be no problems if you continue to insist on using Microsoft's .xlsx format.
Additionally, OpenOffice does not support saving in that format. LibreOffice does support it.
Please use the User Control Panel to correct your Forum signature, as, currently it shows an invalid version.
Either change the OpenOffice to LibreOffice and/or change the 6.0.7.3 to the correct version number.
Apologies I'm on LibreOffice. I've just changed my user profile on here.

I'll try this step from the tutorial that you suggested

"From the File menu, choose Templates -> Save."

thanks Matt :)
TheMotorcycleBoy

RusselB wrote:Yes this can be done by creating a new default template.

I've done this now.

TBH this feels to be a somewhat heavy weight approach. Surely having a global default font from Edit->Preferences is a more obvious way to set up something like this.

re. the comment about the .xlsx format, as a computer programmer myself (for about 25+ years), the output file should be irrelevant - for all *standard* features.

The only features, I'd personally expect to have trouble porting would any graphs, or programming macros. Simple calculation formula and font+layout choices - surely these have well known equivalents across the varying spreadsheet output formats?