[Solved] Printing charts in Landscape

Discuss the spreadsheet application
artworksmetal

[Solved] Printing charts in Landscape

Post by artworksmetal »

I've been messing around with the "Position and Size" feature in charts. I don't completely understand it but I've managed to fill the page with my chart. Maybe what I want is not possible, but I was hoping to print a single chart on two or three landscape pages. But when I set the printer to landscape, it just prints very wide margins instead of filling the page. Do I need to just make a separate chart for each set of data that will fit onto a single page?
If there is a tutorial on how to use this feature I have not been able to find it.
One other weird thing, note in the screen print that the protect options are available. I don't know what happened there because they have been grayed out in all my previous resize attempts. So I'm not even sure what that means?
Thank you in advance for your help!
chart.jpg
Position.jpg
Last edited by artworksmetal on Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Printing charts in Landscape

Post by FJCC »

To set the page to landscape, choose the menu Format -> Page. On the dialog that appears, choose the Page tab and set the orientation to Landscape.

Do you want one chart to span several pages? The simplest way to resize a chart is to click on it once so that green "handles" appear on it edges. You can then click and drag those handles to change the chart size. To see where page boundaries are, you can use the menu View -> Page Break View. It might be useful to first add dummy data in a column and row to the right of and below the area of the spreadsheet that you need to use. If you add data in rows 1 and 50 of column Z and then select View -> Page Break View, you will see an array of pages that you can use to guide your resizing of the chart.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
artworksmetal

Post by artworksmetal »

The first screenshot is what the chart looked like printed in landscape, so I knew how to do that. But the Page Break view suggestion really helped.
Once I did that, I poked around and figured out how to format the page as landscape. That's exactly what I needed. Then resizing the chart became elementary.

Thank you for turning a task I was struggling with into an easy one!
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

artworksmetal wrote:Thank you for turning a task I was struggling with into an easy one!
All of physics is either impossible or trivial. It is impossible until you understand it, and then it becomes trivial.

Ernest (later Lord) Rutherford, Nobel Prize.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.