[Solved] Create histogram chart

Discuss the spreadsheet application
merdontv

[Solved] Create histogram chart

Post by merdontv »

Hi
How to create a chart in the form of Mode?
example: https://bit.ly/3eRaj78
Topic 105270.png
 Edit: Attached image to post, since these bit.ly links always break after a bit
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by merdontv on Tue May 18, 2021 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openOffice 4 win 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: chart in the form of Mode

Post by Villeroy »

Discuss statistics based on screenshots? Are you overburdened by your homework assignment or what?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
merdontv

Post by merdontv »

Villeroy wrote:Discuss statistics based on screenshots? Are you overburdened by your homework assignment or what?
young man -> Listen to me: if you can’t answer a question or don’t know the answer, then walk by and don’t pretend to be smart.
ps. I am not asking for a solution. I'm asking for a link or tutorial.
openOffice 4 win 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

No chart without data. The picture shows an ordinary column chart. Select your data on sheet, call Insert>Chart... [Finish] and that's it. How much spoon feeding do you need?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The trick is that you need to carefully evaluate the number of “bins” and the width so that the rendering shows what you want (quite often a bell curve). Have a look at: Number of bins and width, together with the rest of the article of course.

No feature to do that automatically AFAIK.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
merdontv

Post by merdontv »

Villeroy wrote:No chart without data. The picture shows an ordinary column chart. Select your data on the sheet, call Insert>Chart... [Finish] and that's it. How much spoon-feeding do you need?
are you pretending to be smart or clever? here is the file. show me how to do it. Insert > chart.
you can show how smart you are or stop eating from a spoon with a hole.
Attachments
example.ods
(10.42 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
openOffice 4 win 10
merdontv

Post by merdontv »

Hagar Delest wrote:The trick is that you need to carefully evaluate the number of “bins” and the width so that the rendering shows what you want (quite often a bell curve). Have a look at: Number of bins and width, together with the rest of the article of course.

No feature to do that automatically AFAIK.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
Hi.
Thanks for your reply. I have this information. I thought there was a way to build this chart using openOffice tools.
openOffice 4 win 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Chart in the form of Mode

Post by Villeroy »

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It seems you have the tools now. From someone who demonstrated that he's not just pretending...
:super:

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

merdontv wrote:How to create a chart in the form of Mode?
I have no idea what you want. The picture of the result is worthless without either the data which was used to make that picture or an explanation from you about your goal. The latter would be better.
XY Problem

The mode is the value that appears most often in a set of data. So in 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 3, 1, 0 the mode is 1. I don't understand how you can create a chart of a single value. Do you want this (a histogram), from your data? If so, create a pivot table with the data values as the Row Fields and use Count as the summarization function in the Data Fields. (Without a pivot table you could use the FREQUENCY function. The pivot table is easier but FREQUENCY gives you more control over the grouping.) Then create a column chart from the pivot table or the FREQUENCY result and in Format → Data Ranges → Data Range specify Data Series in Columns and First Column as Label.
202105171736.ods
(21.64 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
202105171736.gif
Using the DataPilot          (now called a Pivot Table)
Using Charts and Graphs (detailed information about the different chart types and how to create them)

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
merdontv

Post by merdontv »

MrProgrammer wrote: If so, create a pivot table and frequency
Thank you, Mr.Programmer, you are a kind Person and a true professional. Without ambition, he explained in simple words and showed an example. you are on the right path in life. Thanks!
I did it in two ways through the pivot table and the frequency. I'm ready to close the topic. but the last question: how to remove duplicate "0" in frequency.
I made a column with unique values and used them for axis X. but on the chart, the holes and not all labels in the footer are shown.
Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Q.png
example.ods
(29.55 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
openOffice 4 win 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

menu:Data>Filter>Standard Filter...
Freq <> 0

hides away the rows having the zero values.
merdontv wrote:Thank you, Mr.Programmer, you are a kind Person and a true professional. Without ambition, he explained in simple words and showed an example. you are on the right path in life. Thanks!
Whereas you dumped a screenshot and
merdontv wrote:How to create a chart in the form of Mode?
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

merdontv wrote:last question: how to remove duplicate "0" in frequency.
Thank you for the attachment showing your use of FREQUENCY. The FREQUENCY function provides counts of the values in bins. Your attachment shows that you have specified the same bin multiple times. For example, the four cells F14:F17 all have the value -153.75. I don't know what you expect to happen when you do that, and the function description doesn't explain this situation, but the result is that the function chooses one of the duplicate bins to hold the count (four) for -153.75 and puts zeros in the other three. If you don't want extra bins with zeros, don't specify duplicate bin values. There are several ways to remove duplicates (search the forum) but I choose to avoid the problem by using a pivot table instead of the FREQUENCY function. I won't answer questions about removing duplicates in this topic because that is a new subject and would need a new topic.
merdontv wrote:Listen to me: if you can’t answer a question or don’t know the answer, then walk by and don’t pretend to be smart.
The same "walk by" advice applies to you. If you don't like Villeroy's answer don't complain. Perhaps someone else will have a different answer for you. But beware of simply ignoring him. He is one of the most valued contributors here and he has my great respect. Just now, he has suggested one way to hide your zero values. I found your initial post to be impossible to understand as well, and ignored it until you provided the attachment. I have edited the subject of this topic to better reflect your question so that others can more easily find it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Create histogram chart

Post by Villeroy »

I used your column C for a bin list and for a pivot table.
Numeric row fields and column fields of a pivot table can be grouped. First create the normal pivot with distinct values in the row field, then click any cell in the row field and call Data>Group>Group...
Attachments
t105270.ods
(23.47 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
merdontv

Re: Create histogram chart

Post by merdontv »

Hi again.
Many Thanks to All who helped me to find the answer to my question.
openOffice 4 win 10