[Solved] Changes I make in Calc are not saved

Discuss the spreadsheet application

[Solved] Changes I make in Calc are not saved

Postby Bastette54 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:50 am

Hello,

I created a Calc file by opening a .csv file. It correctly parsed the input and put items in the right cells, columns, etc.

I changed the font, text size, row height, and column width, and then selected Save As. The file was saved as a .csv file (which I thought was odd). I checked the timestamp on the file in the folder's file listing, and saw that the file had been updated. Then I closed the file in Calc.

When I opened the file again, the font, text size, and column size changes weren't in the file. Those attributes still had the Calc defaults.

I then tried saving the file as an .xls file, so it would open the one I had changed, rather than the .csv file. But that didn't work either. I even changed the name of the xls file so that Calc wouldn't associate it with the original .csv file. Didn't help.

I tried restarting the computer and then went through the same process of open xls file, make changes, save, close, open again. No change.

I then updated my OO version to 4.17, thinking there might be a bug in my old version (although I can't remember this happening before). Restarted computer, and repeated the same steps, got the same results.

Here's one thing that might be significant: When I first created the text file in Notepad, I used the '@' character as my cell delimiter. That's because the text already had commas, but no '@'. Each row of the .csv file had a carriage return. When I opened the .csv file in Calc, I specified the '@' by checking the Other box in the Text Import dialog box. It all looked fine. The problem is that when I made any changes to the .xls file in Calc and then saved the file, the timestamp changed, but the file didn't retain any of my changes.

I tried one last thing, in case for some reason Calc didn't like '@' as a delimiter - I changed it to '#'. I did everything as before, but the row and cell attribute changes were not saved.

Any idea what is happening??

Thank you!
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
Open Office version 4.17
Bastette54

Re: Changes I make in Calc are not saved

Postby Zizi64 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:18 am

A .csv type file can not store any formatting properties (or any formulas). It can store the pure textual data only. It was designed only for this simple function, but not for storing a complex spreadsheet.

Use the native, international standard .ods file format.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6 on Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps, winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.3.2; AOO4.1.6
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Changes I make in Calc are not saved

Postby Bastette54 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:26 am

Thank you, that worked!
Open Office version 4.17
Bastette54

Return to Calc