Set default - New Template

Discuss the spreadsheet application
robglass

Set default - New Template

Post by robglass »

From a selection of named ranges, I would like to print a daily formatted named spreadsheet and append a copy of another named spreadsheet onto an accumulated daily list. Each day, I write in activity data on the first sheet then type in that day's portion of the accumulated list.
Create a new Category/Folder:
1) File/Template/Organize
2) Double click on any folder
3) Drop down: New, Delete, Import Template, Printer Settings, Update "Activities" will be the new category/folder
4) Clicking "New" does not reveal an "Untitled" folder.

Is my approach to creating and using Calc templates erroneous or do I have a defective computer ?

Someday I will figure out importing web data which is currently way above my pay grade.

OO 4.1.5, macOsMojave (10.14)
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and FireFox 60.0.1 on MacOS 10.13.4
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Set default - New Template

Post by jrkrideau »

I must confess I do not understand what you are doing.

Why are you creating a template?

So far I get than
From a section of named ranges print daily formatted spreadsheet
(on paper or as a pdf?

Append a copy of another named spreadsheet onto an accumulated daily list
What is this list and where is it stored? Are you importing the complete spreadsheet?

I write in activity data on the first sheet then type in that day's portion of the accumulated list.
What is this "activity data" and where does that first sheet come from?

Nothing I see there requires a new template or even a new folder on the hard disk.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
robglass

Post by robglass »

Dear jrkrideau,

Thank you for your prompt reply to my dense objective.
1) I print a hard copy of my portfolio's options positions. I have this list named " Daily Options Worksheet" which I select from Data/Select Range/( Drop Down List of Saved Range Names )
2) With hard copy in hand, I then select from Data/Select Range/"Accumulated Options Record".
3) I append a copy of Accumulated Options Record to a displayed list shown by a Calc tab of the same name.
4) Each selected range displays only persistent data ( Expiration Dates and Strikes ) while current date and price cells are blank.

For each option position, I retrieve its daily data from my broker's website.
I manually write in the blank cells of the " Daily Options Worksheet" and then, by keyboard enter that data into the current "Accumulated Options Record".

This is a tedious process. Your comment " Nothing I see there requires a new template or even a new folder on the hard disk." suggests to me that we agree I have re-invented an awkward wheel.

Ideally, this process can be dynamically editable ( positions are bought and sold, expire or executed ). Automatically retrieving web data for the options portfolio would be very nice.

Calc tabs offer convenient access to specific spreadsheets. A week ago I added a column to "Accumulated OptionsRecord" and rendered my technique inoperable. "Manage Templates" shows many, many failed templates within "My Templates" folder.

Wishing to create a new "Activities" template/folder seemed to be good way to start cleaning up the debris in "My Templates".

I have negligible grasp of data structure and a profound intrigue in Open Office's potential relevance to my objective.

I have worked OO 3.3 Calc Guide to the best of my improving ability. A nudge would be most appreciated.

Thank you for any suggestions you may offer.

Rob Glass
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and FireFox 60.0.1 on MacOS 10.13.4
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Hi Rob,

I don't use Calc for anything complicated but from your description of what you are doing it sounds like you have the proverbial dog's breakfast of a data layout. I get the feeling that you may need to consider completely redesigning your spreadsheet. There should be no need for manual input as far as I can see.

Would it be possible to upload a copy of the file either here (there is an upload tab at the bottom of the Reply and Quote windows, file size limit 128k) or to a file sharing service such as DropBox or MediaFire and post a link here?

The actual data in the file is irrelevant, so you can just throw in nonsense data if you want. There is a way to anonymize the data programmatically. See How to attach a document here. You will need to scroll down a bit.

We really need to see exactly what the layout is before we can make any suggestions.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04