[Solved] Copy data to an empty cell

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dwarfer1

[Solved] Copy data to an empty cell

Post by dwarfer1 »

hi all
is there a way to copy data from one cell and paste it into the first empty cell in a different column.
eg. data i want to copy is in cell A1 and i want to copy cell A1 and paste it into 1st empty cell in column B.
can this be done by looking up the 1st empty cell in column B using a formula.
many thanks
shaun
Last edited by dwarfer1 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows Vista
MrProgrammer

Re: copy data to an empty cell

Post by MrProgrammer »

dwarfer1 wrote:data i want to copy is in cell A1 and i want to copy cell A1 and paste it into 1st empty cell in column B.
Find Last Empty Cell in a Row"I want to copy the value of "A1" and paste it to the last blank/empty cell in column B. "

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
dwarfer1

Re: Copy data to an empty cell

Post by dwarfer1 »

lets see if I can make this simpler.
lets say my data is in cell A1. what I want to do is create a macro so that when I press a button it copies cell a1 and pastes it in to b1. if I press the button again paste to b2 and if I press it again b3 etc. is this possible.
many thanks
shaun
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

lets say my data is in cell A1. what I want to do is create a macro so that when I press a button it copies cell a1 and pastes it in to b1. if I press the button again paste to b2 and if I press it again b3 etc. is this possible.
"Everything" is possible by macros. But you must WRITE it.

Do you want to fill the COLUMN "B" based on the values typed-in the cell "A1"?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
dwarfer1

Post by dwarfer1 »

Yes Zizi but only when I press the button. and each time I press the button I want it to move down to the next cell in column b
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

When jou want to fill a column (or a cellrange) with some data, then you can use the "Data form" feature of the LibreOffice. Select a cellrange to fill, and then from the menu: Data - Data Form.
Data_form.png
(It is not available for the AOO by default, but you can install it as an extension.
https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/dataform

The extension was written in Basic language. Maybe you can write some similar macro based on the code.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If Zizi64's suggestions don't meet your needs, perhaps you could explain what it is that you are actually trying to achieve that needs the process you are describing; there may be an alternative method of achieving your goal. See the XY Problem
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
dwarfer1

Post by dwarfer1 »

cannot download the extension. so here is what I am doing hope some one can help. I have created a darts scoreboard which works great. it works out your averages and lets you know what finish to go for. at the end of each game I want to keep a record of each players dart average. I could manually input this at the end of each game but thought it would be easier if I could just click a button and record this. hope this makes sense to you guys and I would appreciate any help.

many thanks
shaun
dwarfer1

Post by dwarfer1 »

Managed to solve this my self. If you select a cell that has data in it then hold down ctrl then press the down arrow it goes to the last cell in that column that contains data. if you then press the down arrow again it goes to the next cell wich is empty. I just recorded a macro doing this and assigned it to a button. alls well :)
:D :D :D