Add cells in a sheet, automatically add in another sheet?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Funderare

Add cells in a sheet, automatically add in another sheet?

Post by Funderare »

Hello. Lets say I have two sheets.
In one of the sheets. Lets call it the list sheet. I make a list. "Income", "Rent", "Car costs". One row for each.
Now, I want to add exactly the same list to my other sheet, a sheet I named summary.

So, my solution so far have been to write and copy. So it will look like this

Code: Select all

=list.A1
=list.A2
=list.A3
So far, so good. But now when I have done it. I want to add another item in the middle of my list. Lets say "Subscriptions". When I add that from my list sheet. It will not show up in my summary sheet. How do I solve this problem. So that I can add things to my list, and then it should automatically add the same things to the summary sheet?
LibreOffice 5.4 /
Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Add cells in a sheet, automatically add in another sheet

Post by robleyd »

It isn't stated what you are trying to achieve with the two sheets; it is possible that a Pivot Table(formerly called Data Pilot) may be useful for you.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... /DataPilot
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Funderare

Post by Funderare »

I can try to explain it further.

Lets say I have three sheets.
Summary.
January.
List.

In the list sheet. I've added things like.
Income
Rent
Car costs

In the January sheet. I ad expenses. And after that I choose a category from a drop down menu. All these categories I have, comes from the list sheet.
50 dollars Category: Car costs
200 dollars Category: Rent
500 dollars Category: Income
100 dollars Category: Car costs

Then, I have the Summary sheet. In this sheet all my expenses are shown in a summary.
Rent expenses from January: 200 dollars
Income from January: 500 dollars
Car expenses from January: 150 dollars

Code looks like this...

Code: Select all

=list.A1 "expenses:" =january.A1 "dollars"[/i][/i]
=list.A2 "expenses:" =january.A2 "dollars"[/i][/i]
=list.A3 "expenses:" =january.A3 "dollars"[/i][/i]
The thing is. When I change the categories, in the list sheet. I want it to change in all other sheets too. It works if I change the name of an already existing category, or add one after all other categories. But the January and Summary doesn't update (or work) if I add a category between two already existing categories. How would I make this possible?

Im sorry if I'm not that clear. I need to go to work now, so I hadn't the time to take screenshots and explain it that way.
LibreOffice 5.4 /
Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You must not attach screenshots. Just attach a copy of your document with confidentials removed. Takes 5 seconds and saves hundreds of words.
If you have one sheet per month (which is a mistake) then you may try Data>Consolidate...
You better dump everything into one list and use pivot tables, filters and various functions that are designed to analyse a single, adjacent list of data.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
DolphyausDutchland

Post by DolphyausDutchland »

Hello,

perhaps try to CONCATenate things:

=list.A2 & "String of your choice" & blabla.F5
OpenOffice.org (OOo) 3.0.0 on Windows 7; Notebook with XP and Apache OpenOffice (AOO) 4.1.3
Funderare

Post by Funderare »

Hello. I'm sorry for the late answer. Been working and doing other things. But now I am here.
This is the file.

https://ufile.io/547xp

So you remember my question. I want to add categories in my "kategorier" sheet. When I do that, I want the other pages to update the categories too. Now it only works to change names of categories and add them at the end. I would like to be able to add them at any place in my category sheet.
Villeroy wrote:You must not attach screenshots. Just attach a copy of your document with confidentials removed. Takes 5 seconds and saves hundreds of words.
If you have one sheet per month (which is a mistake) then you may try Data>Consolidate...
You better dump everything into one list and use pivot tables, filters and various functions that are designed to analyse a single, adjacent list of data.
Why do you think it's a mistake?
I would like to see my expenses for each month, what I spend too much on. And an explanation of what I bought. And why.
If I only have one page, I can't really fit the description in. :/

Edit
I've found a, sort of, workaround. Not that good. But it works.
Go into summary sheet, highlight all the cells I want to update. The first one need to have the formula I want. Go into menu "Table", and sub-menu "Fill cell".
But it's a bit... too much work. I would like it to be automatic.

If I have twelve sheets, one for each month. This means I need to do this twelve times.
LibreOffice 5.4 /
Windows 10