TAB key in spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
FDF

TAB key in spreadsheet

Post by FDF »

I'm using NeoOffice 2107.3 on a Mac with OSX 10.12.6.

In previous versions of NeoOffice Calc (spreadsheet), when entering text in a cell, upon entering the first letter the cell would autofill with a value beginning with the same letter which had been used in another cell in the same column. For example, if I enter the letter H in a cell, if there were one or more other cells in the same column that also contained an entry beginning with H, the new cell would automatically fill with one of those entries. If the first value was not what I wanted, pressing the TAB key would present the next value (if there were others) beginning with H. This was very useful in reducing the amount of typing required for repeated entries, and also for promoting consistency in cell contents.

Under NeoOffice 2017.3 this does not happen. Following the above example, entering text starting with H will automatically fill the cell with an entry starting with H taken from another cell in the same column, which is fine. However, pressing TAB simply jumps to the adjacent cell in the next column. In other words, TAB does not take me through the "list" of other entries beginning with H in the same column. (I prefer to use the arrow keys to jump to the next cell).

I've searched NeoOffice settings and preferences to see if there is a way to change this behaviour but have not found anything. I've also searched this forum for the word TAB, but nothing found.

Any way of getting this to work like the older versions of NeoOffice?______ (I presume Open Office has the same issue).
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and Mac OSX 10.14.6
robleyd

Re: TAB key in spreadsheet

Post by robleyd »

Is Tools | Cell Contents | Autoinput checked?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
FDF

Post by FDF »

Yes, Autofill is checked on. Autofill works, up to a point. It only uses the first of several possibilities (when there are more than one other entries in the same column beginning with the same letter). In the old version, the TAB key would "scroll" through all the other possibilities from that column so you could select the desired autofilled entry. This great feature seems to be missing now!
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

It works with AOO 4.1.3 via Tab
Works with LO 5.2.5.1/ 5.4.2.2 via Ctrl-Tab use Ctrl-Sift-Tab to go back in the list (no roll over)
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
FDF

Post by FDF »

But not NeoOffice 2017.3!

I had no problem with previous versions of NeoOffice.
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

In the help you should be able to find the keys under topic 'AutoInput'. The other option is to report a bug at NeoOffice.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
FDF

Post by FDF »

There is no Autoinput or Autofill entries in Help for NeoOffice. Nor is there any support provided to report a bug. Very annoying. Years ago they provided excellent support.
So, I've gone back to the older NeoOffice 3.4.1 Patch 21 which, despite dire warnings about it not working under the latest OSX when opening it, works fine. I also downloaded Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4. Both these versions support the use of the TAB key for autoinput. Great!!
I may request my money back for purchase of NeoOffice 2017.3. I see no advantage in having this version (aside from lack of that annoying warning message when opening it). I can live with older version.
Very confusing having all these office apps (NeoOffice, OpenOffice, LibreOffice....). Wasted redundancies! Better to focus on one and make it the best!!
eremmel

Post by eremmel »

Nor is there any support provided to report a bug. Very annoying. Years ago they provided excellent support.
Money for no added value? AOO looks the way to go...