[SQL] JOINing 2 row sets

Forum rules
No question in this section please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.
Villeroy
Volunteer

[SQL] JOINing 2 row sets

Post by Villeroy »

Original topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=96607&p=462482#p462482

What does the JOIN keyword do with 2 tables?
Why are there so many variants of JOIN in the literature on SQL? Well, many of them are equivalent to each other.
How is it related to the Cartesian Product of the 2 tables?
Is there any difference between the inner join and the selection from 2 tables where A.X=B.Y? Answer: Some old fashioned database engines work more efficiently with JOINs. In HSQL they are equivalent.
Attachments
JOIN_us_now.odb
(13.93 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Last edited by Villeroy on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: [SQL] JOINing 2 row sets

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Thanks for the useful examples, but I did notice a problem. Most of your queries contain inline comments that are preceded by //. That works fine in the Direct SQL mode, but most visitors will attempt to run them in the default mode and the Base parser will raise a Syntax error. Apparently the parser only allows comments to be preceded by --.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [SQL] JOINing 2 row sets

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you for the hint. I made this with LibreOffice which ignores the comments. I did not know that Openoffice refuses to run queries with inline comments. So I replaced it with another version without inline comments and added the documentation to the readme form.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice