[Tutorial Video] making a simple pie chart diagram

Forum rules
No question in this forum please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.

[Tutorial Video] making a simple pie chart diagram

Postby horstjens » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi,
i made a tutorial video with my students about how to make a simple pie chart diagram and enhance it with pretty colours.
The video is made on Ubuntu Linux. Because it was the first video i made with my students, the screen messages are still in German, but the students talk in English and i made subtitles in English.
You can watch the video here:
http://www.showmedo.com/videos/video?name=1260030&fromSeriesID=126
If you can spare a second to write a comment below the video (there is even an choose-a-feedback-button at the right side of the videos) it would help me and my students to produce more material.

greetings,
-Horst
horstjens

Re: [Tutorial Video] making a simple pie chart diagram

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 pm

It found the sound volume too low, and I found the window showing the students distracting. I would suggest using the whole video frame to show the computer screen and try to improve the voice over to clearly describe each stage.
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby horstjens » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:44 am

Hi, thanks for the input.
This was the first video i made, and sound quality improved meanwhile.
-Horst
horstjens

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:19 pm

I am not clear on whether you want comment on the video [quality of multimedia presentation], its use [value of multimedia presentation], or general classroom pedagogy. I couldn't hear the sound for some reason [no trouble elsewhere], but that has been commented on. If classroom pedagogy, are you teaching another subject, using the spreadsheets as a possible tool, or teaching computer course in which applications such as this are a part? The pedagogy would depend on the application. For example, I might use the spreadsheet in a business math or algebra course, following a more traditional approach. If teaching a computer application course, I would show alternatives such a "pretty colours", but if a more serious business course would keep it more serious, concentrating on the business terms, techniques, and application.

I did some spreadsheets that produce arithmetic and algebra practice sheets. They are rather dull, but do the job. I can't help but compare today's textbooks with yesterday's. Presently tutoring a student in grade 7 in fractions, the text had three [count them] useful problems in one particular exercise. The other problems were querying their ability to analyse. The problem is that, having not yet mastered the exercise, they had not foundation from which to make such judgement. Oh, and she doesn't yet know her times table. Talking with the frustrated teacher, she says that none of them came prepared with that.

The point ...the text is FULL of nice pretty pictures which take the place of well thought out exercise and practice. So I question the advantage of the time spent ...unless it is a course in doing exactly that ...producing spreadsheets... and not an application in another course of study. Time spent on one can not be spent turning over rocks in the other.
Dave

Postby acknak » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:36 pm

I actually enjoyed seeing the students. It makes the video far more relaxed and interesting.

I do agree though, for a more in-depth tutorial, it might be necessary to use a more formal presentation. Even in that case, it might be nice to intersperse sections of "lecture" and "lab".
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Return to Calc