[Tutorial] Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10

Home made tutorials, by users, for users
Forum rules
No question in this forum please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.

[Tutorial] Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10

Postby John_Ha » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Windows 10 has introduced Windows Defender and many W10 users seem to be finding it causes problems with AOO and LO where they cannot save their files, or where AOO/LO hang and are unresponsive when they attempt to do a Save.

The problem is caused by the Controlled Folder Access component of Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection. See Microsoft's Customize controlled folder access

The only solution is to disable Controlled Folder Access by going START > Settings > Update and security > Windows security > Virus and threat protection > Ransomware protection. Set Controlled Folder Access to OFF.

Do I also need to add the other .exe files like swriter.exe, scalc.exe, simpress.exe and soffice.exe etc?

No. swriter.exe (and scalc.exe, simpress.exe etc) are the programs which build the screen you see and which accept what you enter and create the document you are working on. When you want to save your work, the program swriter.exe (or scalc.exe, simpress.exe etc) invokes soffice.bin to write to the disk. Hence only soffice.bin needs permission to write to disk.

I tried the alternative methods of adding C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.bin which is the required file by clicking Allow an app through controlled folder access. I was taken to a navigator screen but the navigator only showed me .exe and .com files and I could not see soffice.bin. *!@~*!# Microsoft yet again!

It has also been reported that adding soffice.bin using a powershell command as described in Use PowerShell to allow specific apps does not work either.

If you experience any problems please do not post here - start a new thread in the forum.
AOO 4.1.6, Windows 7 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Manual, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and the Writer guide.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Return to Tutorials