How to change the default bullet sizes

Home made tutorials, by users, for users
Forum rules
No question in this section please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.
box293

How to change the default bullet sizes

Post by box293 »

I've read a lot of forum posts with people asking how to do this but never found a simple solution. Here's how I made it work for me.

Press F11 to open Styles and Formatting
Click the second icon Character Styles
Click the word Bullets
Right click Bullets and select Modify
Select the font Segoe UI
Change the size to 14
Click OK

You will see that style automatically applied to all existing bullets in the document

The point of doing it this way provides two solutions
Solution 1)
The end user will always get the correct bullet size. If they indent a bullet then the next level of bullet will also be that size. When defined in your templates, all the user needs to do is click the bullets button and it works.

Solution 2)
By setting the font size to 14, this provides additional spacing between the bullet points. Once again, when defined in your templates, all the user needs to do is click the bullets button and it works. This is of course relative to the font size you use for your paragraphs etc.

------
If you are wondering why I chose "Segoe UI" as the fonts for bullets, do the following
Right click a bullet and select Bullets/Numbering
Click the Options tab
Click the Character "..." button
Here you can see that this is the font being used by the bullets

Another alternative is to change the character being used by each bullet level. This seemed a bit more involved and wasn't something I was interested in getting into.

Hopefully these steps will provide help for people who don't know where to find some of the default options.
OpenOffice 4.3 on Windows.
Hagar Delest

Re: How to change the default bullet sizes

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that the font depends on your Operating System (for example, it's different on my xubuntu machine).
For those who use a style for their numbering instead of the direct formatting button (from the toolbar), the styles that controls their symbols is not Bullets but Numbering Symbols.

However, there is a drawback when you tweak the symbol font size this way: it will prevent the symbol size from adjusting the font size of the text if you decide to increase or decrease your paragraph text. To retrieve the automatic adjustment of the bullet size, in the style dialog, click the Standard button.

To change a bullet size, I would advise changing the bullet symbol itself and use a bigger one.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
box293

Re: How to change the default bullet sizes

Post by box293 »

Thanks for the input
OpenOffice 4.3 on Windows.