[TIP] Adding new symbols to Math

Home made tutorials, by users, for users
Forum rules
No question in this section please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.
RGB

[TIP] Adding new symbols to Math

Post by RGB »

• Open (or create) a Math object.
  • Go to Tools -> Catalog (or “catalogue”, if you use the British version ;) ).
  • Click the Edit button.
  • Below the “symbol picker” table, you will see something like this

Code: Select all

Symbol      |and                           |v|
    Symbol set  |Special                       |v|
    Font        |                              |v|
    Subset      |Mathematical Operators        |v|
    Typeface    |                              |v|
    Forget for a moment that these boxes are drop-down lists, delete the “and” and type the name for the new symbol (let's say, MySymbol).
  • Remember again that these boxes are drop-down lists and select a font containing your symbol, the “subset” from that font and, of course, pick from the table the character you need.
  • If needed, and the font selected allows it, select a stile for the symbol (standard, bold, italic, bold-italic).
  • Click the Add button.
Now, you can use your symbol on any equation by typing %MySymbol.

Notice: You can also define a new “symbol set” to collect all your symbols.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
jamespark11

Re: [TIP]Adding new symbols to Math.

Post by jamespark11 »

I'm new to Open Office. I have on my system previous versions of Word (2000) and WordPerfect (vers. 8). These use the same equation editor (more or less).

My interest is fluid mechanics. The equations of motion (my bread and butter) use as 'standard' symbols, the greek "nu" for the kinematic viscosity of the fluid and u, v, w as components of the fluid velocity. In Word and WP, equations are defaulted to italics. In italics, the nu and the v are very similar, making the equation unnecessarily difficult for the reader. In WP I was able to work around this problem by simply switching the italic font for the English characters in the equations. After the change, the non-italic English fonts were used by the equation editor every time.

When I started to re-create the equation set in a WP document imported into Open Office, the italic problem is with me again. I have learned how to change it in an equation as I create or edit it. But, when I open a new equation in the same document, the editor defaults to the italic characters.

Would appreciate help in either:

1. Instruction in locating and substituting an alternative italic "nu" font that will be used by default any time the equation editor is opened, or
2. Instruction in turning off the italic for the English characters by default when the equation editor is opened,
3. Gently pointing me to the obvious solution that I've overlooked.

Thanks very much for any help.

Incidently, I evidently don't understand the paradigm for the user guide. I couldn't find a way to change the defaults for an entire document.
RGB

Re: [TIP]Adding new symbols to Math.

Post by RGB »

You will find an answer to your question in the following thread:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 1098#p1098
Following the instructions here you can define a new %MyNu character. You only need a font that provides it.
Note that your question is "off topic" here: you are asking about font format on a thread that talk about special characters. Please, to keep order on the forum always start a new thread when you have a new question. ;)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice