[TIP]Math objects: alignment and spacing on Writer documents

Forum rules
No question in this section please
For any question related to a topic, create a new thread in the relevant section.
RGB

[TIP]Math objects: alignment and spacing on Writer documents

Post by RGB »

Spacing.
With the default set-up, Math objects are inserted on a Writer document with a huge space before and after them. In order to get rid of that space for ever (at least, on new objects), you need to follow two simple steps:
  • Open the stylist (F11) and go to the “Frame styles” (the third button from left to right). There, edit (Right click -> Modify) the style “Formula”. On the “Wrap” tab, set the left and right spacing to zero. Finally, save that document as your default template.
  • Open (or create) a Math object and go to Format -> Spacing. Under “Category” you must select “Borders” and set the spacing to zero. Finally, press the “Default” button.
Aligning.
There is an old (and still unresolved) issue about alignment for Math objects ( Issue 972 ): Specially when there is no equal sign, the alignment with the text could be very bad. There is no “automatic” solution, but you can change the object's position easily and with high precision by selecting it and using Alt+Arrow keys (Yes, that use of the Alt key is documented: on the OOo help, look for “objects;moving/resizing using keyboard”)
 Edit: (February, 2012) AOO 3.4 will include automated alignment of Math objects on Writer documents. A new option (enabled by default on new documents) under Tools → Options → Writer → Formatting aids → Layout assistance → Math baseline alignment is introduced. 
Last edited by RGB on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
pratanakangsadal

Re: [TIP]Math objects: alignment and spacing on Writer documents

Post by pratanakangsadal »

I don't know how else to offer for your kindness but saying many thanks. I followed your clear directions and got everything done in 3 minutes. Need to use the Math now. May you be just a little more happy as I am now for the rest of your life. Bye.
max5555

Re: [TIP]Math objects: alignment and spacing on Writer documents

Post by max5555 »

Thank you very much!

But...

What about spacing INSIDE formulas? I have big spaces between letters, when they are separated by space in script (I don't know the right name for the text in the formula editing window). As far as I remember in previous version of OpenOffice.org-math 1:2.4.0-3ubuntu6 (hardy) and earlier ones the spaces were used omitted. My current version is 1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2 (hardy-updates). Also there are huge spaces between variables and indexes something like "A b" instead of "Ab" for A_b. Is it a bug?

Editing

O'k it is a bug. You will face this problem if you will open and save the document with formulas without OpenOffice.org-math installed. To fix broken formulas you have to copy the text entry (script) for the formula, then you have to go out from the formula editor and open a new one and paste the script.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x