[Solved] How to create multiple 'Tables of Contents'

Discuss the word processor
RobinW

[Solved] How to create multiple 'Tables of Contents'

Post by RobinW »

I wish to insert a Table of Contents at the front of a document, and another separate one in the Appendix of the same document.

I have generated a document template which I have successfully used for years, but with a single Table of Contents at the front of the document. so quite happy with auto updating etc..

In this case, I want to generate a Table of Contents in the Appendix section for the contents of the Appendix, but whenever I insert another table of contents, it links to the same headers which are used for the table at the front of the document, so it just replicates the table from the front of the document.

I have tried all the variations for inserting indexes/tables as listed in the Help files without success, and am at the end of my tether.

I did think if I could somehow create new heading names (but retaining the same style etc) as that used for Heading 1; Heading 2; Heading 3 as used at the front of the document, and somehow only call up the revised names for the Appendix table that would provide the separation, but can't see any method of achieving this.
Last edited by RobinW on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOS 10.15
FJCC

Re: How to create multiple 'Tables of Contents'

Post by FJCC »

Insert the first table of contents and make sure that the Create From on the first tab of the Table of Contents dialog is set to Outline.
For the Headings in the Appendix, define some new styles based on Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. That is, in the Styles and Formatting dialog, right click on Heading 1 and select New. Name the new style something like Appendix 1.

When you insert the table of contents for the Appendix, set the Create From section to Additional Styles. Click the button with the three dots just to the right of the Additional Styles box. Select each Appendix style and use the >> button to push the style to the appropriate level of the index.

You can right click on the tocs in the attached document and select Edit Index/Table to see how I set it up.
Attachments
TwoToC.odt
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RobinW

Post by RobinW »

Thanks for your prompt response. I'll now try and get my head round it.
RobinW

Post by RobinW »

I have got the solution.

I had some difficulty following the advised instructions, and didn't understand what to do with some of the screens which came up which and didn't appear to correspond with the instructions. Lack of knowledge and experience on my part. I managed to get the new headers etc, and when I copied in the sample given, I was able to manipulate it to the same style as my Table of Contents at the front of the document. So I will also keep this as a template for future use. I knew it must work somehow - just needed a bit of help. Many thanks.

I now need to somehow mark this as Solved or Closed.