Can I Convert speak to text with OpenOffice

Discuss the word processor
Anthony99

Can I Convert speak to text with OpenOffice

Post by Anthony99 »

Does anybody know about a program where you can use speak to text with Open Office?

My Windows 10 has a voice command for writing, however it isn't perfect with Open Office.

Sometimes it's just easier to speak my thoughts instead of writing them out. Is there a program that would work, like that Dragon program or something else?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista myprepaidcenter
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Can I Convert speak to text with Open Office

Post by Zizi64 »

Speech recognition softwareas are not perfect. You will spend more time correcting errors than typing whole text.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Search the forum with dragon for lots of advice.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Can I Convert speak to text with OpenOffice

Post by jrkrideau »

You might want to have a look at Voice notebook https://voicenotebook.com/. It basically is a chrome application that seemed to use Google as its background machine. It's not perfect by any means but it works fairly well and has the advantage that it's free.

Tibor's quote "You will spend more time correcting errors than typing whole text." maybe a bit of an exaggeration but there is some truth to this. Still, I currently have a mucked-up left hand. I find being able to dictate rather than one finger typing with one hand is a big advantage but I do have to spend some time editing the results.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

An excellent solution I use is to use a phone's or tablet's "speech to text" capability which is usually quite good. Save the text and send it to the PC by email or file transfer.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
steelhoof

Post by steelhoof »

Wow.

You assume much, and by doing so you got me to register for this foum.

My hands do not function well so S->T is a necessary tool towards productivity.

So do us all a favor and tin about people not like you.

You, frankly, make me think of Boris Johnson advising the UK and the EU on Brexit.

Not worth the effort to listen.

This took me 5 minutes to type

Bill
Zizi64 wrote:Speech recognition softwareas are not perfect. You will spend more time correcting errors than typing whole text.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You have a situation where using speech to text is, almost, a requirement.
That does not change the fact that speech to text, while improving, still is not perfect.
Even if you had perfect diction, there are lots of words that sound the same, even if they are spelled differently.
An example from the English language is the word: to. If you say the word "to", how is speech to text to know if you mean "to", "too", or "two"
Now a good speech to text will have some grammar sensing included, which is how the program tries to determine which of those three options is the correct one.
The better speech programs are not available for free or, in some cases, even a free trial. You have to pay for the program and hope it'll work well enough for you so that you haven't lost the money for that program.
Many stores these days will not issue refunds for software that has been opened.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
steelhoof

Post by steelhoof »

yes.
Thank you for that.

Which is why the suggestion for using an android phone is so wonderful.

The issue there is writing longer texts that way becomes onerous and tedious with the necessity to copy, paste, forward, copy, paste. Or even just forward, copy, paste

I recall the early days with IBM via-voice on Linux, I was recruited but declined.

Such a shame that it died ... but it was exceptionally innovative, and it should be considered a direct ancestor to what we now have.

en wikipedia org/wiki/IBM_ViaVoice (what are the rules on links?)
steelhoof

Post by steelhoof »

RusselB wrote:The better speech programs are not available for free or, in some cases, even a free trial. You have to pay for the program and hope it'll work well enough for you so that you haven't lost the money for that program.
Many stores these days will not issue refunds for software that has been opened.
Actually, if one does it right, one can get the premium product on a trial.

I recently asked about the issue myself and learned that professional journalists use online services to transcrbe recording, like interviews. The services are pretty fast, and can be cheap, less expensive, or gold pressed latinum

from a thread I started on Twitter, search goppolitburo @samthielman

@_SimonLau
Replying to @_SimonLau @goppolitburo @samthielman
Simon Lau Retweeted App Store
For on-the-go use, the @otter_ai mobile app records and transcribes in real time. You can also highlight important quotes by tapping on sentences (faster than you can jot them down) and take photos inline.Simon Lau added,
Replying to @goppolitburo
Works okay. You have to go back and correct it no matter what but the less background noise, the better the transcript. It’s not super cheap but it is an order of magnitude cheaper than paying someone to do it!
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

steelhoof wrote:
en wikipedia org/wiki/IBM_ViaVoice (what are the rules on links?)
Please see the Survival Guide
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

steelhoof wrote:I recall the early days with IBM via-voice on Linux ... Such a shame that it died ... but it was exceptionally innovative, and it should be considered a direct ancestor to what we now have.
You can buy IBM ViaVoice for a few pounds on eBay - see here. I expect it will still run on W7 - my IBM Lotus Smartsuite which was released for Windows 95 still runs OK.

Or buy Dragon and dictate into Notepad then copy into AOO or LO.

MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Anthony99 wrote:Does anybody know about a program where you can use speak to text with Open Office?
A Mac includes dictation hardware/software which can be used with OpenOffice. There is nothing extra to buy or install, just press the fn key twice and begin speaking. Those who need this feature may want to consider that platform. The comprehension seems to be quite good, This is the first time I've used the feature and I didn't have to "train" it for my voice. It has understood the homophones (time/thyme, for/four, to/two/too, aid/aide, and their/there/they're) correctly and capitalized the first letter of the sentence automatically.
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 11.03.20.png
Dictation lets you speak text to your Mac instead of typing
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).