i Writing into the chapter through the table of contents?

Discuss the word processor
farzadghanbari97ir
Banned

i Writing into the chapter through the table of contents?

Post by farzadghanbari97ir »

I work with big manuscripts divided into loads of chapters. I have found that by using the built in system of formatting a Table of Contents by formatting both the title of a chapter aswell as an ingress they will both appear in the table of contents. With ingress i mean that I write a short synopsis of the content of the chapter.

Now, what I want to be able to do is to write directly into the ingress in the table of contents and thereby also changing the ingress in the chapter (or change the name of a chapter from the table of contents rather than having to go to the chapter itself)
This would help me a lot and spare me a lot of frustration going back and forth to the table of contents and the actual chapter some 700 pages away.

Is this possible to do? How?
Thanks!
;)
LibreOffice Versione: 6.2.1.2 (x64) on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: i Writing into the chapter through the table of contents

Post by RoryOF »

I don't think this is easily possible - the Table of Contents has to be regenerated after every alteration to the content in text which is to be displayed in the ToC. You might try using the Navigator (F5 key) to move speedily about your document.
 Edit: This will allow you move speedily to your text and then return to the ToC. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Re: i Writing into the chapter through the table of contents

Post by robleyd »

This question, verbatim, was asked and answered in 2016 on the MSOffice forums but we leave it here as it might be helpful.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers