[Solved] Chapter Names

Discuss the word processor
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Chapter Names

Post by Bill »

DWDun wrote:After I have formatted a Chapter's first page to be Only Right, how do I format its following pages to be Left or Right? Must I insert a page break on the first following page?
No. Writer knows that pages should alternate between right and left. Since you specified that the first chapter page is a right page, the next page is automatically a left page.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Normally I will have a Chapter page as a Right page; my follow on pages then will be Default or Textpages (needs to be defined as a page style) which will (for my purposes) use mirrored format.

When I layout a book for my own purposes it is intended to be printed A5 size (approximately US Brochure equivalent) on duplex printers, and bound by folding and sewing into binding signatures.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

These are my normal references for large document (book) work in OpenOffice; they are also relevant for LibreOffice

See the file referenced in this posting for an overview
Structure Instructions

This document may also be informative:
Writer for students (several languages)

This document covers much the same ground as the previous document. It will be helpful for those writing a book
http://documentation.openoffice.org/whi ... th_OOo.odt

Bruce Byfield's new book, Designing with LibreOffice, also covers Apache OpenOffice. It focuses on the use of styles and templates, mainly in Writer but with some info on Calc, Impress, and Draw.

A PDF of the book, and/or a zip file of the chapter ODTs, can be downloaded free from the book's website. If you prefer, you can buy a printed copy. http://designingwithlibreoffice.com

For Macs, there is much useful information in
[Tutorial]Mac FAQ
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Another bit of frustration. Attempting to assign Chapter Names in a template environment, same text.
Here's what I do:
Place cursor just before the first text in the opening paragraph of the chapter.
Insert Page Break to Dedication.
[OO immediately moves the current page to the top of the next page.]
Enter
Insert Field>Other, Chapter and Chapter Name are highlighted, Insert and Close.
Enter
CTRL 1
[First Paragraph goes to Line spacing of 1, Bold, bifurcates second paragraph.]
Sometimes it pastes in several instances of the first paragraph, you just never know what is going to happen.
But it NEVER applies a Chapter name like it has in the past.
When OO moves to the next page upon insertion of the Page Break, does it take the Page Break with it?
Should I return to the original position for the Chapter Chapter Name CTRL 1 exercise?
Should I Enter after the insertion of each but before CTRL 1?
I am still looking for a way to remove Chapter Chapter from my non-templated efforts. If someone could provide that I will be glad to manually insert Chapter Names and page numbers myself, just to see the end of this whole mess.
DWDun
O0en Office 4.1.6, Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you /View /non printing characters turned on, so that you can see exactly the location of the cursor relative to other paragraphs marks, linefeeds, spaces and tabs?
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

No, please tell me what that will achieve for me.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It will enable you to see exactly where the cursor is positioned on the page relative to characters that are normally not visible but present.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

i now have the non-printing symbols visible in my work. It even puts little dashes in between my words.
Now that I have this can you answer the questions in my first post of the day?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

DWDun wrote:No, please tell me what that will achieve for me.
There are 97 posts in this thread.

Your level of basic understanding and knowledge is among the lowest I have seen from posters. You will find all the answers you need if you only took the time to READ THE MANUAL.
Last edited by John_Ha on Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You are entering a chapter field in a location where you should enter the Chapter name in plain text, in Heading style 1 (ctrl 1 shortcut); Heading style 1 tells OpenOffice this is the information to use, The Chapter field tells OO to repeat the chapter information.

Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DWDun wrote:Here's what I do:
Place cursor just before the first text in the opening paragraph of the chapter.
Insert Page Break to Dedication.
[OO immediately moves the current page to the top of the next page.]
Your sample document already has a page break before the Dedication page. You don't need to add another page break there. There is inconsistency in your document. Some chapters have page breaks, others don't. You need to insert page breaks only for those chaptes that don't have page breaks.
DWDun wrote:Enter
No, do not press Enter. That adds an empty paragraph between the page break and the chapter title. You should type the chapter title in the first paragraph after the page break, not the second paragraph after the page break.
DWDun wrote:Insert Field>Other, Chapter and Chapter Name are highlighted, Insert and Close.
No. You have to type the chapter title, not insert a chapter name field.
DWDun wrote:Enter
No, do not hit Enter. That inserts an empty paragraph below the chapter title and makes the empty paragraph the active paragraph. You need to apply the Heading 1 style to the chapter title, not the paragraph after the chapter title.
DWDun wrote:CTRL 1
[First Paragraph goes to Line spacing of 1, Bold, bifurcates second paragraph.]
Sometimes it pastes in several instances of the first paragraph, you just never know what is going to happen.
But it NEVER applies a Chapter name like it has in the past.

When OO moves to the next page upon insertion of the Page Break, does it take the Page Break with it?
Yes. The page break becomes an attribute of the first paragraph after the page break.
DWDun wrote:Should I return to the original position for the Chapter Chapter Name CTRL 1 exercise?
???
DWDun wrote:Should I Enter after the insertion of each but before CTRL 1?
No. You don't need to hit Enter at all when inserting a page break and typing a chapter title.
DWDun wrote:I am still looking for a way to remove Chapter Chapter from my non-templated efforts. If someone could provide that I will be glad to manually insert Chapter Names and page numbers myself, just to see the end of this whole mess.
Open the page style dialog and turn off the header. Close the dialog. The header and Chapter Chapter will be gone. If you want a header on the page, reopen the dialog and turn the header back on.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Many thanks Bill. This is the kind of support I have been looking for, not for someone to do it for me.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Is there a recognizable symbol for "Page Break" that can be opened up and scrutinized? If there is, what does it look like, how is it opened, can it be edited?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A Page break is not shown by a symbol, but by a coloured line across the top edge of the new page. This is by default Dark blue; it can be reset in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /Appearance, in the Text Document section : Page and Column breaks. If set to "Automatic" it is Dark blue. I change it to Red to make page breaks more obvious.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DWDun wrote:...how is it opened, can it be edited?
Bill wrote:The page break becomes an attribute of the first paragraph after the page break.
Click the first paragraph after the page break and select Format > Paragraph, then select the Text Flow tab.