[Solved] Chapter Names

Discuss the word processor
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Chapter Names

Post by floris v »

Put the cursor in a chapter title and press Ctrl+1, the combo for Heading 1 paragraph style.

You should really spend some time reading about the structure of Writer documents because you are consistently looking in the wrong direction and visiting the wrong places. You can start with this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=58558

Styles were introduced to help you keep your formatting consistent. So you have one chapter title style, normally called Heading 1, and you apply that to all of you chapter titles, instead of having to apply, say, Garamond 18 pt boldface and italics and embossed, with a black line below the paragraph across the page.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I THINK I'M GAINING ON IT!!!
I went through the suggested tutorial,
added the Header1 definition to every chapter name paragraph,
and now I get Chapter Chapter (and sometimes a chapter name after that, but not always) and sometimes not even that. And no way to get rid of the Chapter Chapter.

Would it not be simpler for someone who knows how to do what I am trying to accomplish, to just tell me step by step how THEY do it? I am not trying to gain the necessary knowledge of OpenOffice so that I can join your support group and help others. All I want is to get a book published; the publisher is waiting on it, and the harder I try the further behind I get.

I know, I know, we've all got sad stories to tell. I'll really try to keep mine to myself.
O0en Office 4.1.6, Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DWDun wrote:Would it not be simpler for someone who knows how to do what I am trying to accomplish, to just tell me step by step how THEY do it?
You've already been told the steps. If they don't work for you then you should create a sample document using the same settings and upload it so someone can examine your settings.

Code: Select all

1. Apply the Heading 1 paragraph style to the chapter titles.
2. Click in the header and select Insert > Fields > Other.
3. On the fields dialog, select the Document tab, then select Type:Chapter and Format: Chapter name. Click Insert, then Close.
I just tried this in a new 4-page document with two chapters. The correct chapter name does appear in the headers.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Would it not be simpler for someone who knows how to do what I am trying to accomplish, to just tell me step by step how THEY do it?
Floris v already told you: Click on the heading to move the insertion point to somewhere inside the heading. (You don't need to select the entire text of the heading.)
Hold down the ctrl key and press number 1.
Last edited by keme on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DWDun wrote:...added the Header1 definition to every chapter name paragraph...
Does "Header1 definition" refer to the "Heading 1 paragraph style"? There is no Header1 paragraph style unless someone has added it. There is a Header paragraph style, but that is the paragraph style that is applied to the text in headers, not to the document text or chapter names.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Two quick questions that I hope have simple answers.
I am using Heading 1 to format the paragraph in my headers where the Chapter name will some day display. Due to previous stumbling it Displays ChapterChapter plus the actual Chapter Name and I can find no way to sanitize it. The first Question: would it be permissible to use Heading 2 instead of Heading 1? At least it should be cleaner.

Question 2: Is it required to apply the Heading format to every heading in the Chapter that I want to display the Chapter name, or only the first one in the Chapter?

Once I get my Chapter Names lined out and tying every bale, I will be through with OO Large Document and you will be through with me. I do thank you profoundly for the assistance you have been. I could never have done it without you.

DWDun
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Don't use the Heading 1 style in a page header (the line at the top of the page where you can also have page numbers).
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

@DWDun: Please upload a sample document. I would never have guessed that you were applying the Heading 1 paragraph style to paragraphs in the header. When I told you that the Heading 1 paragraph style should only be applied to the chapter titles, I was referring to the titles in the document text, not the chapter name fields in the headers. Now I'm wondering if you even have chapter titles in the text.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If it is showing Chapter Chapter and the chapter name, what happens if you toggle /View /Field names? That should resolve the line in question into its components, showing perhaps that you might have several entries of Field : Chapter.

A Page Header will carry its entries to every instance of that Page Style, so, if on a Page Header one enters text, that will show on a all instances of that Page Style. However, some Fields have the magic property that they can change in Page Headers to their current value for each page. This is how Page numbers are displayed - the page number will be given its current value for the page, rather than a fixed value. Ditto Field : Chapter, provided the value for that Chapter field is changing as the text progresses.

As Bill says, a sample document would greatly assist.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

For those who are following this thread, these tutorials may be helpful

[Tutorial] Page numbering]

[[Tutorial] Page styles and headers/footers

[Tutorial] Numbering chapters on Writer
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Two more questions;
How much sample document do you want,
and,
What part of the document do you want?

Back to the tutorial.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As it is a text for publication, we would be happy with a short test document, a page or two of preliminaries (so that we might set the page numbering in lower case Roman), a Table of contents, and a dummy chapter or two (need only be two pages each), with the page headings and numbering you are getting displayed.

Remember that typing DT then pressing F3 key gives a paragraph of dummy text, so one can quickly build a dummy chapter.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Unknown where the previous posts went, but we'll try to get along without them.

Question: Would someone care to differentiate between a HeadER and a HeadING?
Tutorial; Step by Step:
"Move the editing cursor to the first a heading paragraph"
"Click in the first Heading:" Question: Where does one find a heading paragraph besides in a Header?
"Apply the heading style"
"Locate the paragraph style heading 1 in the Styles & Formatting window (F11)" I am now using Heading 2 and sure enough, it shows only the Chapter name.
"Double-click the style name to apply that style"
"Repeat for each following heading"
Question: No it does not repeat in each Header in that Chapter.
DWDun
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

HERE ARE A FEW PAGES OF DUMMY TEXT, GUARANTEED TO HAVE BEEN PRODUCED BY A DUMMY.I NOTICE THAT MY CENTERING ETC HAS BEEN DROPPED OUT AND IT DOES NOT T SHOW THE HEADERS, BLANK PAGES, OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT WOULD IDENTIFY IT AS OO LARGE DOCUMENT. GOOD LUCK WITH IT. THE BLANK PAGES ARE JUST LARGE BLANK PLACES

COMBAT SEARCH and RESCUE
That others may Live. Leave No Man Behind.

Copyright  2012, 2019

Don Dunaway

All Rights Reserved

Cover Art: USAF Photo

Originally Published Under The Title:

Another Side of That War
THE ONLY ONE REALLY WORTH FIGHTING FOR

CONTENTS

Dedication i
Acknowledgments ix
Author’s Foreword xiii

Introduction. . . . . . . . . .1
The Aircraft . . . . . . . . .11
Survival Training. . . . . .29
New Home. . . . . . . . . .43
First Mission. . . . . . . . . 51
Filling Squares . . . . . . .65
Watering Holes . . . . . . .73
THE Mission . . . . . . . . .91
The Firefly Mission. . . . .99
Time Out . . . . . . . . . . 123
Ground Crews. . . . . . . 131
First Rescue . . . . . . . . 139
RESCAP . . . . . . . . . . . 157
Odd Jobs . . . . . . . . . . 169
Tchepone . . . . . . . . . . 181
Missed One. . . . . . . . . 202
Tchepone, Again. . . . . .215
Sunrise Service. . . . . . .233
Missed Another One.. . .251
Go Kill Somethin' . . . . .261
Last Mission. . . . . . . . .269
Speaking Tour. . . . . . . .283
Conclusion. . . . . . . . . .291
Glossarium. . . . . . . . . .299
Index of Players . . . . . .329

It has long been said that military husbands should come with a Technical Manual fraught with Notes, Cautions and Warnings, like any other well regulated, well written Tech Order.
And much has been written about how those who stay behind while the husband does his military duty cope with the hardships, crises and stresses created by that separation. These familial splits are painful to all involved, but they are a necessary evil of the military system that knows no better way to accomplish the primary mission. And the Mission must of course always be the winning consideration. While the coping techniques take many different forms and enjoy varying degrees of success, any family that prevails in such an unpleasant ordeal cannot be praised too highly. In maintaining their family structure and identity, in doing well what is needful of doing in the day-to-day routine and, in the process they become an even more exemplary asset to their community and nation. They are deserving of any and all praise that might be directed their way.
So the result of this writing is dedicated to my family who stayed behind and persevered, coped and lived their lives as best they could under extremely trying circumstances. But it is dedicated especially to my son Dub who cared enough about it to insist that it be written. This is nothing more or less than my best answer to that timeless and eternally recurring question in every generation and every society; "What did you do in the war, daddy?"
As I begin I cannot but be mindful of the husbands and fathers of my own acquaintance, and the untold thousands I never met, who sacrificed all their tomorrows in answering their Nation’s call. As a result their families are forever barred the opportunity and satisfaction of hearing of their warrior’s achievements, their successes and failures, and their warrior’s perceptions of the horrors of the war they fought. I know my family would endorse and join with me in the dedication of the writing of this collection of narratives to the memory of those who can never, and it is with a profound sense of obligation, duty and gratitude that I commence the relating of my year of combat, June 1968 to June 1969, in THAT WAR, the Southeast Asian conflict.

Although I have exercised a modest amount of literary license, most of the named characters in this writing are not fictional. Many of them tried for and achieved varying degrees of anonymity. Some of them even attained a degree of invisibility which was usually corrected with a good night’s sleep; bur fictional was not one of their attributes.
It is with sincere gratitude for much-needed and un-stinting assistance that I acknowledge the generous help of the Brothers Bain.
Darrel is an accomplished author, savant, gentleman and scholar with two tours as a medic in THAT WAR, as well as a long list of published titles and other achievements on his resume. His expert guidance has proven to be priceless.
His younger (but not much) brother Gary Bain, Captain, USMC (Ret), whose rescue at Tchepone as Manual 42 I did not get in on, has three ejections from jet aircraft on his resume. His severe shortage of landings notwithstanding, his varied aviation experience, his wide knowledge and boundless enthusiasm, and his unimpeachable integrity and character continue to be treasured resources. He’s got me convinced that in his next life he wants to be a Sandy. He will be a good’un!
I would be remiss in the extreme if I did not also acknowledge the aid and inputs of my wife Barbra, my own in-house English and composition teacher. Her suggestions, critiques and encouragement have been more closely akin to lifesaving than to mere production-enhancement.

There are many good books relating various aspects of Combat Search and Rescue; scholarly, authoritative, thoroughly researched and well-written books of source material quality and as I am not quoting them I will refer to them no further. Reading any of them is highly recommended, not only for the captivating stories they tell but for a wider and better understanding of the technological advances that have been made to accomplish the mission at hand: the safe retrieval and return of aircrews from a hostile ground environment.
This writing is intended solely as a collection of narratives of my involvement in this worthy effort with references only to munitions, resources and tactics as needed for the telling of a particular story. It tries to capture the events, environment and emotions from the perspective of a human, a husband and father, and a hands-on fighter pilot. Some will disagree with my perceptions and memories and that’s okay; I would probably disagree with some of theirs as well. If the reader finds anything about it that might be considered scholarly or even approaching the literary, be not dismayed, it is purely accidental and will soon be corrected.
To explain some of my methodology; I find it expedient to italicize those instances meant to designate what passes for thought processes within a cockpit, or musings of one kind or another in that space between the earphones of a helmet. In other places italics are used simply to add emphasis where I think emphasis is called for. Bold text will mark the first reference to something expanded in the Glossary, but only to the first one.
If you, the reader, have no background in aviation matters, it might be a good idea for you to read the glossary first. Not only will this introduce you to some of the aviation jargon that is necessarily used
throughout the book, it will also give you a broad hint as to the primary method used throughout the book: which is TONGUE IN CHEEK.
Although some, but not much, allegiance to chronology is maintained as one narrative relates to the next, there is no story line or thread of continuity that runs between the narratives and each is sufficient unto itself. That should make it a good bathroom book, but even in that guise it should be read just like your first reader; left to right, top to bottom and front to back.

IN 1967 THE "VIETNAM WAR" had been dragging on, as wars tend to do when there is no interest in or intention of winning, for at least six years and President Lyndon Baines Johnson's half-vast and pretentious efforts to win it were proving to be painfully inadequate. It was obvious to anyone who cared to look, that in spite of posturing and protestations to the contrary, winning was not the uppermost thing on the collective mind in Washington D.C. They just wanted you to think it was.
THAT WAR was initially undertaken with the noblest of intentions; stop the spread of Communism in Southeast Asia and secure peace, freedom and democracy for the South Vietnamese people. But our national leaders, educated only in self-serving back-room politics rather than in the profession of arms, and paying much more attention to pollsters, protesters and news-anchors than their own generals, were not up to the task of even pseudo-generalship. Thus the micro-management and gross mismanagement by inept politicians and their even more inept political appointees, plus self-serving and obviously corrupt indigenous officials, had THAT WAR in such a chaotic quagmire that the only thing still honorably salvageable was personal conduct.
With the national leadership looking for a satisfactory political solution, the war continued to drag on and the nation’s blood and treasure continued to be prodigally expended. It bears repeating that our ground forces won every battle, took every objective, achieved every identified goal and given the go-ahead and resources to do so would have beaten back every advance by the opposing forces. But obviously we didn’t want to do that! For any who might take exception to such an assessment, I refer them back to the Glossary and ROE. Yeah, yeah, I know; it wasn’t their fault their effectiveness diminished sharply when they forted up in Firebases and quit trying to out-guerrilla the guerrillas. But that’s another story and I wouldn’t want the Army to think I was trying to tell them how to fight a ground war; or how any of them should interpret their own dog-eared copy of Von Clausewitz.

END OF DUMMY TEXT
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please upload the actual dummy file, rather than insert the text into a posting. The text in the posting doesn't show us how you are getting the results, and that is what is causing the problem
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Apparently you're going to have to explain even how to do THAT. I have highlighted what I want, saved it to its own filename but cannot get it up to upload.
Please state exactly what you want and HOW you want it sent to whom. My frustration level is pegged out.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Use Full Editor or Post reply screen, not Quick reply. Below the submit button on Full or Post reply screens there is an "Upload Attachment" tab. Click on that, select the Choose file button, the navigate to the file you wish to upload. Select it and press OK (or may be Open button, depending on operating system. Then press the Add the file button and Submit your posting.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I find nothing that says UPLOAD ATTACHMENT except in the text of postings
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

upload_attachment.png
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I'll try THAT
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

It shows that I have chosen DummyText.odt, and I click on Add the file. I hope it works when I click on submit.

Nope, nothing happened. Ill try it with the whole damned book!

Nope, nothing happened there either! I'll see if it will just submit wthout trying to upload somethin.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

After you click on "Add the file" it takes a moment or two, depending on your internet speeds, to upload the file to the Forum server.

Then, you click on Submit to upload the entire posting which contains the file.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Did ANYTHING ever come through?!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The file size limit is 128 KiB in this forum. Maybe your sample file contains a large image or other objects...
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

I will check file size, but my problem has not been solved. When it is I will so post.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

DummyText.odt
(19.51 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I can compare your plight to a teenager who has never flown a plane sitting in a jumbo jet and saying "Now tell me how to fly this thing". He does not have the basic knowledge to understand what he is told.

And neither do you have the basic knowledge to understand what you are being told. Your file is a mess of direct formatting.

May I suggest therefore, that instead of asking for bespoke individualised instructions, you do what countless others before you have done and read the manual. Then come back and ask questions like "In the manual it says ... but it does not work for me".

See my footer for what you need to read. Be sure to read Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 in the Writer Manual.

You will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the Writer Manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Is OO 3.3 still the latest documentation?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DWDun wrote:Question: Would someone care to differentiate between a HeadER and a HeadING?
A dictionary could probably answer that, but I don't have one handy. Instead, I went to Google and searched for "header vs heading". This is the second hit of about 80,000,000:

Rule 2: Don't confuse Headers and Headings
DWDun

Post by DWDun »

Do you have a copy of the OO Documentation handy?