Page numbering

Discuss the word processor
DWDun

Page numbering

Post by DWDun »

Open office 4.1.5 (I thought I had downloaded 4.1.6 but I guess not), Windows 10
Large Document, about 20 chapters, attempting to number the pages in Footers in accordance with the instructions in HELP.
"To Insert Page Numbers" , Choose "Insert -Fields - Page Number" gets me a white blob with no text or anything else at the cursor position in the footer.
Attempting to "To Start With A Defined Page Number" goes well until I come to the line that says "In the Breaks area". Where would the "Breaks area" be?
Inputting the page numbers in the footers by hand individually does not work either because they go to other unintended footers.
Instructions on either method would be appreciated.
O0en Office 4.1.6, Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Page numbering

Post by RoryOF »

Your first problem: make sure /View /Field Shadings is unchecked.
Checking /View /Field names will give you "Page Number" (the name of the inserted field). Unchecking that should now give you the actual number.

Your second problem
To Start With a Defined Page Number
Now you want some more control on page numbers. You are writing a text document that should start with page number 12.
1. Click into the first paragraph of your document.
2. Choose Format - Paragraph - Text flow.
3. In the Breaks area, enable Insert. Enable With Page Style just to be able to set the new Page number. Click OK.

The new page number is an attribute of the first paragraph of the page.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS