Cannot turn off underlining and italicizing

Discuss the word processor
Danenters

Cannot turn off underlining and italicizing

Post by Danenters »

Running MacOS Mojave - O.O.version 4.1.6 won't let me get rid of underlining and italicizing on over 200 pages of a text document. Started after I underlined and italicized one sentence. Suddenly everything underlined and italicized. I could highlight a couple of paragraphs at a time and get rid of italics and underlining on those paragraphs via Command I and then Command U. But, if I highlighted the whole document (Command A) I could not eliminate all the underlining and italics. Restarted MacOS, but underlining and italicizing still there.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on macOS Mohave 10.14.1
robleyd

Re: Cannot turn off underlining and italicizing

Post by robleyd »

How did you modify the one sentence that you changed?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Danenters

Post by Danenters »

Command I and then command U to eliminate the italics and underlining - that worked for a paragraph at a time. Tried it again for whole document (Command A) but nothing happened.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Perhaps I worded the question poorly - how did you originally change the sentence to include the effects; did you directly format using e.g. keyboard shortcuts or the icons on the format menu, or did you edit the paragraph style?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Danenters

Post by Danenters »

I used keyboard shortcuts: the Command key plus I (italics) and separately the Command key plus U (underlining).
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Did you hit the Command key sequence then continue typing or did you highlight the text then use the Command key sequence?
If the first, then repeating the same sequence should turn that sequence off.
If the second, then it should've stopped automatically at the end of the highlighted text.
In either case, if you go to the end of the text that is underline/italicized, then use the cursor controls on your keyboard to go one or two characters to the right, you should be outside of the underline/italicize sequence... Only need to use the cursor controls for two characters if you have both underline and italics active,

If this doesn't work try using View -> Non-printing characters (Ctrl+F10 in Windows) so you can see the actual character sequence that is causing the italics/underlining and use the cursor controls to get past where the sequence ends.
If you don't see the end, then the end might not be entered yet. Use the command sequence to enter the end formatting.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Danenters

Post by Danenters »

Eventual solution (after wasting too much time): I copied and pasted the whole 200+ pages into a new file and all the unwanted italics, underlining, and unwanted text colors were gone. The file must have somehow gotten corrupted.
Reminder - this all happened with O.O. on Mac OS Mojave :

It if helps anyone, here is what I tried before I copy and pasted the whole file into a new file.

1. At first, the only way of eliminating underlining and italics was to highlight just a few sentences. I then used keyboard shortcuts - one at a time to correct the respective text: Command key + U, Command key + I, and/or Command key +B. If I tried highlighting multiple pages, the keyboard shortcuts did nothing,

2. I tried highlighting one word and then scrolling down via cursor on scroll bar for a few pages. I then held down the Shift key which highlighted the whole selected section. Command I and command U worked on the section to eliminate unwanted italics and underlining. That had not worked during earlier attempts.

3. Oddly, some of the text had changed color, without my making any change. When highlighted, some of these areas did not respond to Command key+U (underline); yet they did respond to Command key+I (italics). I decided the file was corrupted, and copied and pasted it to a new file and slightly renamed it. I wanted to keep the original corrupted file, in case I had lost any segment.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If the original file doesn't contain any confidential information, would you mind uploading it to the forum or a file sharing site (if the size is greater than 128Kb) and then posting a link to the shared file so that we can analyze the structure?
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit typo
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Danenters

Post by Danenters »

I have attached a page that illustrates the unwanted ugly color, bolding, underlining and italicizing that I was not able to edit up to 8/31/19.
The black text amidst sections of the tan text are some test edits I made today. I still consider this a corrupted text file and, as I previously mentioned, I copied and pasted 200+ pages into a new OO text file and it is OK.
Attachments
• Novel.odt
(36.14 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You have the Edit -> Changes -> Show option active.
Uncheck that and you'll see a big difference in your document.
Danenters

Post by Danenters »

Thanks Russel - appreciate it. I'll make a note regarding Edit> Changes> Show/No Show. Was not familiar with the settings. That got rid of the weird mustard color. The bold, underline, and italic settings I have to change manually. I looked at some of my other OO text files, and many have Edit> Changes set to Show, without the same problem. Anyway, I've gone ahead and copied and pasted the 200+ pages into a new OO text file. That worked fine.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

There are two problems which require different solutions.

The first problem is that there are many changes that were recorded in the sample document in 2017 that haven't been accepted or rejected. That is what is causing the weird mustard color and underlining when Edit > Changes > Show is set on. To fix that problem, select Edit > Changes > Accept or Reject to open the Accept or Reject Changes dialog and either accept or reject the changes. If you want to accept all changes, click Accept All and close the dialog. The mustard color and underlining should now be gone.

The second problem is the Bold Italic text which is the result of direct fromatting. That can be fixed using the Format options in Find and Replace. Open Find and Replace and click in the "Search for" box, then click More Options > Format > Font > Bold Italic > OK to set the search option. "Italic, bold" should appear under the empty "Search for" box. Now click in the "Replace with" box", then click Format > Font > Regular > OK to set the replace option. "Not italic, normal" should appear under the "Replace with" box. Click Replace All and close Find and Replace. All of the Bold Italic text should now be normal.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04