New Document Opens Incorrectly

Discuss the word processor
Paracelt

New Document Opens Incorrectly

Post by Paracelt »

When I right click in a folder within Windows Explorer and select "New --> OpenDocument Text" it opens as Impress.
If I am within OpenOffice already, click the New Document icon, and select "Text Document", then it opens properly.

Any ideas what's up?
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: New Document Opens Incorrectly

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
The right click file association has been changed or corrupted. Not being a Windows 10 user, I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. but the correction does have to be made at the Windows level.
You could try reinstalling OpenOffice and/or asking in a Windows 10 forum.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

RusselB wrote:You could try reinstalling OpenOffice
Maybe you have downloaded a fake copy since a para-site?
It may be a malware-ridden nightmare.
I suggest you uninstall it and scan for malware before.
Then download from the official site and install that.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

RusselB wrote:Welcome to the Forums.
The right click file association has been changed or corrupted. Not being a Windows 10 user, I'm not sure how to go about fixing this. but the correction does have to be made at the Windows level.
You could try reinstalling OpenOffice and/or asking in a Windows 10 forum.
I'm not a Windows 10 user, but an old fashioned method that still works is to right click on a file of the target type - any .odt file in this case - and select "Open With" from the popup. Then select either soffice.exe or swriter.exe as the application to open such files. At the bottom of the popup there should be a line "Always open with this application" (or similar words). Select that, then OK out and all should be well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Start > Control Panel or Settings on W10 > Default Programs.
Clipboard01.gif
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.