[Solved] Incorrectly sorting twice in one column

Discuss the word processor
richard2197

[Solved] Incorrectly sorting twice in one column

Post by richard2197 »

Hi.I've had my data (of the form A/2333, that is A/ followed by a number) in two equally sized colums. I think I went and sorted each column alphanumercially a while ago. But, the sorting ought to carry on in the second column from the first column. So, I added more rows and cut and pasted the contents of column two into column one. Then I've highlighted the entire contents of column one and tried to sort this column alphanumercially. The aim then is to place the second half of column one contents back into column two. But, when I do a sort of the column, it is sorted twice, that is, halfway down the contents begin to sort again. I get something like A/1232 to A/8675 in the first half of the column, then in the second half A/1275 to A/8970. Can someone help? Thanks. Rich

EDIT: To the left of my columns with numbers I have numbering column (F12).
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Apache OpenOffice.org 4.1.5
Windows7 Professional
RusselB

Re: PROBLEM: Incorrectly sorting twice in one column

Post by RusselB »

Please upload/attach a copy of your document or a sample that shows the same problem.
This appears to be a problem that may be document specific, thus in order to make a decent response, we really need a sample of your actual document.
Use the PostReply button, which will give you access to the Upload attachment tab/dialog.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
richard2197

Post by richard2197 »

I was going to send a downsized file, but in seeking to get to the size limit I fear I was going to send a file without the problem. Anyhow, I'v solved the problem. What I did was cut the entire contents of the twice-sorted column that is in column one and pasted then into column two. Then I did a sort on column two and got a correct single sort. Then I cut and pasted contents of column two back into column one, then cut and pasted the last half of the contents into column two. So, I now have what I want, the data is in two colums and the sorting carries over into column two. Rich
Windows7 Professional
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Are you sure to use the word processor?
Seems to be a Calc document, no?
richard2197

Re: [Solved] Incorrectly sorting twice in one column

Post by richard2197 »

Hi. When I began putting in my data, I should probably have used something other than a Table in Writer. I realise now that there probably was/is a better way, so that sorting was/is possible with two or more columns. If someone wants to show the better way, please do. Preferably in Writer if possible. Rich
Windows7 Professional