Translating line spacing, when copy/pasting too google doc

Discuss the word processor
VARAKIENEN

Translating line spacing, when copy/pasting too google doc

Post by VARAKIENEN »

I have an Unusual problem here, I think. When I copy past a paragraph of materiel from OpenOffice too Google doc, it creates a space between every sentence in google doc after period, where such does not exist in in the original in open-office. What is even More perplexing is that the problem didn't originally exist when I started doing this procedure months back, but is a recent development after hundreds of pages translated from one to the other.
- I have No explanation for this, and know of No changes made to either doc which can account for it.
In attempting to fix the problem I have created entirely new base documents in each to play with, as well as some experimentation with both originals.
- I have played with paragraph and spacing in both, which effects each in its own documents, but still when I attempt to copy paste from Op-off to Google-doc, the mysterious extra space wants to appear between sentences.
- Can any one enlighten me on the problem, how it came to be, but more importantly, How to fix it.
Ideally, I want to copy paste what I have, EXACTLY as I have it typed with out any alteration, as if I was copy pasting on the same document, not between possibly conflicting formats.
The frustration actually made my cry at one point, . . lol. . . Help?
Last edited by RusselB on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bold tags removed.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 ON windows 10
RusselB

Re: Translating line spacing, when copy/pasting too google d

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the forums.
This appears to be a difference in how Google Docs is handling the code for certain characters.
Google Docs does support the Open Document Format, so one option is to copy & paste the text into a new OpenOffice document, then save that, probably under a temporary name, then load that saved file using Google Docs.
If you still have the same problem, please use the PostReply button and the Upload Attachment dialog (not available through QuickReply) to upload a sample document that has this problem.
Having a sample document will allow us to examine both the document you supply and what Google Docs generates,
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
VARAKIENEN

Post by VARAKIENEN »

with the project I am doing, I need to copy paste a few paragraphs at a time, over the duration of a couple of hours.
I need the problem solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 ON windows 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Create a new document.
Copy & paste into that new document as needed... if it's going to be a while between copy/paste sessions, save the file in .odt format after each session, and re-open it for the next one.
When complete, open the .odt file using Google Docs.

Again, if this doesn't work for you, we need a sample of the document that shows the problem.
Until you have tried my suggestions, I can't eliminate them as viable options, thus no definite solution can be stated.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Is there an option to paste as raw text in Google Docs?
Or paste the text in a mere text editor like Notepad and then copy that and paste it in Google Docs.

Else, there may be a spacing setting for the text in AOO that is understood differently in Google Docs.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

VARAKIENEN wrote:I need the problem solved.
So do what you have been asked to do!
please use the PostReply button and the Upload Attachment dialog (not available through QuickReply) to upload a sample document that has this problem.
Having a sample document will allow us to examine both the document you supply and what Google Docs generates,
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.