[Solved] How combine/group a table and an image

Discuss the word processor
catbill

[Solved] How combine/group a table and an image

Post by catbill »

I want to combine a table and an image and then create a caption using LibreOffice Writer. I am not finding documentation about how to combine or group them. What is the best way to do it?

I know how to make the caption and do not need help with that.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
RusselB

Re: how combine/group a table and an image

Post by RusselB »

Create the table, then use Insert -> image, then right click on the image and select Anchor -> As character
That, in my quick check made the image the first character in the table... or at least that's how it looked to my eyes.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
catbill

Post by catbill »

Thank you. A few questions: Are you suggesting that I insert the image in a cell in the table? Why do you suggest anchoring as character? I still want to insert a caption. Doesn't it need to be some sort of graphic object to do that?
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

I described the exact sequence I used to get, imo, what you seem to be looking for.
Please give it a try and if it doesn't work how you expect/want, upload a sample document and describe, to the best of your ability, what is wrong.
The character anchoring was the one I found that put the image into the table, rather than above it.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

You can also insert a frame, put your table and image in the frame and add a caption to the frame. Better flexibility, but not as easy to work with as RusselB's suggestion.
catbill

Post by catbill »

I need to explain more clearly.
I can insert the large image in the top row of the table (by first merging cells). However, I don't see how to insert a caption for the table as a whole. When I right-click on the table, there is no option to do that. I can insert a caption for the image but I want the image at the top. The caption for the image would appear below the image, not below the table where I want it.
When I enclose the table with the image in a frame, I can make a caption. However, it is saved as Text1 and I need it to be saved as a figure. How do I do that?
Thank you both for bearing with me.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

What settings are you using for making the table?
Since a table consists of multiple lines, what about adding an extra line to your table, then putting your caption on that last line?
I've never used frames, so I have no idea if keme's suggestion might be better at this point.
catbill

Post by catbill »

I didn't specify any particular settings for the table. Are there specific settings you are thinking of?
I need to use the automatically generated caption, so cannot manually insert it.
I could upload the file but don't see an option for doing that.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

catbill

Post by catbill »

Thank you. My screen is formatted to be white on black and the tab for "Upload attachment" is barely legible. That is why I didn't see it.
Anyway, here is a file.
Attachments
Combining image and table example.odt
(35.06 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Take a look at this and let me know if it works for you or not
If it doesn't, please try to clarify how it's different from what you are wanting.
Attachments
Combining image and table example.odt
(34.01 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Doing a bit more experimentation, since my post, it appears that a Caption, as entered using Insert -> Caption (not available through right click menu) knows what you are putting the caption to, and places the caption under the item.
I can see no way of moving a caption made for the image so that it shows under the table.
catbill

Post by catbill »

Yes, you understand what I am trying to do. I will keep on trying to figure this out and post here (if I remember) when I get an answer.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Try brute force and ignorance :super:

Use Insert > Frame ..., to add a frame. Put the caption text in the frame. The frame can be located anywhere you want.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Right click in the table but not on the image, and the Caption menu item will make one for the table. If you use a frame, you can handle object+caption as one entity. With just the table, it seems that you need to be more careful about keeping the caption connected. I haven't used captions in Writer myself, so I'm not sure which is most practical.

When editing the caption, you can select which category you want it to be in. Category dropdown (list) field.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Question now also posted on AskLibreOffice
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
catbill

Post by catbill »

John_Ha wrote:Try brute force and ignorance :super:

Use Insert > Frame ..., to add a frame. Put the caption text in the frame. The frame can be located anywhere you want.
Thank you.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
catbill

Post by catbill »

keme wrote:Right click in the table but not on the image, and the Caption menu item will make one for the table. If you use a frame, you can handle object+caption as one entity. With just the table, it seems that you need to be more careful about keeping the caption connected. I haven't used captions in Writer myself, so I'm not sure which is most practical.

When editing the caption, you can select which category you want it to be in. Category dropdown (list) field.
Thank you. A problem is that there is no option to create a caption after right-clicking on the table.
To help others trying to do this, here is what I did:
1. Insert the image in the top row of the table (use merge cells)
2. Select the table, then go to Insert > Frame
3. Right-click and select Insert Caption
4. Choose Figure for the category (this may not be necessary for other people but I need all of the graphics to be figures)
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
catbill

Post by catbill »

Thanks to keme, John_Ha, robleyd, and RusselB.
LibreOffice 6.2.6.2
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If your problem has been solved, please Tag your thread when it has been [Solved]
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers