Spell check icons do not work

Discuss the word processor
gottimess1

Spell check icons do not work

Post by gottimess1 »

I keep the spellcheck icon on but it does not work as I have to re read everything I type to make sure I have not misspelled anything. I have clicked and un clicked both spell check icons, which it is not easy to do as it just stays on (the one with the curvy red) no matter how many times I hit it. I also click on the ABC with the check mark which comes back as having checked for errors but the errors are still there. I used the ODT. I see you have a new version, how can I download the new one. Please advise. Thanks.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Writer forum -- MrProgrammer 2019-07-31 14:09
Windows 10, OpenOffice 4.1.5
FJCC

Re: Spell check icons do not work

Post by FJCC »

Try resetting your user profile. To do that:
1. Shutdown OpenOffice
2. Open any folder and enter
%appdata%\OpenOffice\4
in the address bar near the top.
3. That will take you to a folder containing a folder named user. Rename that to user_old.
4. Restart OpenOffice and you should get the registration screen. After you finish that, does your spell check work?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

1. Read this tutorial.
2. If you can’t find an answer, ask a good question.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
gottimess1

Post by gottimess1 »

Thank you for your response. It does not work. The spellcheck used to work intermittently but no more. The ABC with the check mark refused to stay on and after clicking on it it come back with spellcheck is complete but fails to correct misspelled words. Insofar as, opening a folder and typing %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the address bar near the top, I do not see an address bar on a document page. There is a window where it say "find", I tried entering said code but did not work.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Opening a folder should be done at system level - that is, out of OpenOffice. And OpenOffice should also be closed when this is being done.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gottimess1

Post by gottimess1 »

I have many documents, letters...on my desktop. If I double click to open a saved OpenOffice document how do I open it at system level?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

gottimess1 wrote:Insofar as, opening a folder and typing %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the address bar near the top, I do not see an address bar on a document page.
Folders are opened using the file manager installed on your system. The default fle manager in Windows 10 is File Explorer. You can find pictures of the address bar if you Google "Windows 10 file manager address bar" and click "Images".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

gottimess1 wrote:I have many documents, letters...on my desktop. If I double click to open a saved OpenOffice document how do I open it at system level?
Double-clicking an "OpenOffice" document on the Desktop does open the document at system level, but that's not what you need to do. You need to close OpenOffice and open your file manager, File Explorer. There should be an icon on the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen that opens the File Explorer. The address bar is in File Explorer, not OpenOffice.
gottimess1

Post by gottimess1 »

I clicked on File Explorer and on the address bar (Search this PC) I typed %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 and after a long while it came back with "no items match your search".
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I typed %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 and after a long while it came back with "no items match your search".
In the File Explorer (or in any other file manager software, like the Totel Commamnder of the Unreal Commander) you must navigate to the User directory first.
I suppose, that your operating system is installed in thew drive C:\
The Windows User directory is located in this case on the path: C:\Users\{your username}\
And the AOO User profile is located:
C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\

Sometimes this directory and its content is hidden in the Windows. You need enable zje "Show hidden and system files" (or some similar option) in your file manager/file browser software.

Back to original post:
I keep the spellcheck icon on but it does not work as I have to re read everything I type to make sure I have not misspelled anything. I have clicked and un clicked both spell check icons, which it is not easy to do as it just stays on (the one with the curvy red) no matter how many times I hit it. I also click on the ABC with the check mark which comes back as having checked for errors but the errors are still there. I used the ODT. I see you have a new version, how can I download the new one.
How many language packs have you installed for the OpenOffice?
Which one (what language) do you want to use now?
Have you set any language for your document in the paragraph styles?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
gottimess1

Post by gottimess1 »

Although I speak other languages I have OpenOffice in English only. Is there a simple way to make the spellcheck work? I am a firm believer of the KISS theory.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

gottimess1 wrote:I clicked on File Explorer and on the address bar (Search this PC) I typed %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 and after a long while it came back with "no items match your search".
"Search this PC" is the Search Bar, not the Address Bar. Typing in the Search Bar searches for the text you typed. Typing in the Address Bar and pressing Enter opens the address assuming it's a valid address. %appdate%\OpenOffice\4 should be a valid address if you have installed and run AOO.