Can't delete paragraph breaks when in "record changes" mode

Discuss the word processor
lmpajot

Can't delete paragraph breaks when in "record changes" mode

Post by lmpajot »

Hi, I do a bit of editing for writers and use Open Office Writer to edit writers Word manuscripts. When I've turned on "Changes" "Record" I can not delete paragraph breaks. Turn it off, no problem. Turn it on, all the delete or backspaces in the world won't move the sentence up into the previous paragraph. I've been using a little work-around by making it a 'suggestion' that the author merges those lines into one paragraph using "comments", but this current author :crazy: needs almost every other sentence moved up and all the separated sentences merged into one paragraph. I can't find a work-around.
I tried viewing non-printing characters in the hope that I if I could SEE the paragraph break then I could delete it, but nope!
Help, please! :alarm:
Open office ver 4.1.6, Win 10
RoryOF

Re: Can't delete paragraph breaks when in "record changes" m

Post by RoryOF »

I can't answer your problem, but advise, if you are tracking changes, you should make frequent timed/dated backups. Install and use the timed/dated backup extension. You can download it from
viewtopic.php?p=406045#p405921

Note that you must invoke it separately using its button; it does not replace the standard save mechanism.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When you turn on /View /Non printing characters, are the text paragraphs in question followed by an empty paragraph, showing a Pilcrow (backwards P character), a line feed (left pointing hooked arrow) or merely a white space blank line?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

It's okay. Just keep an eye on the color of the deleted paragraph marks. You can show and hide changes, with Changes - Show, deleted text will still be visible, but marked with a special color. With Changes > Show ticked, the paragraph mark will be visible, with the paragraph break. When Changes > Show is off, you won't see the paragraph breaks.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
lmpajot

Post by lmpajot »

RoryOF wrote:When you turn on /View /Non printing characters, are the text paragraphs in question followed by an empty paragraph, showing a Pilcrow (backwards P character), a line feed (left pointing hooked arrow) or merely a white space blank line?
Thanks for the reply. Just the normal paragraph marker. Here's a printscreen of a section I can't get together into one paragraph. Nothing works. I can't delete the paragraph marker. I can't make the lines into one paragraph.
This is what it looks like.
This is what it looks like.
lmpajot

Post by lmpajot »

floris v wrote:It's okay. Just keep an eye on the color of the deleted paragraph marks. You can show and hide changes, with Changes - Show, deleted text will still be visible, but marked with a special color. With Changes > Show ticked, the paragraph mark will be visible, with the paragraph break. When Changes > Show is off, you won't see the paragraph breaks.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean. I know that if I delete text it shows marked through and in the color I've chosen for changes. My problem is that I can't delete paragraph breaks while record changes is turned on.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

lmpajot wrote:My problem is that I can't delete paragraph breaks while record changes is turned on.
When Edit > Changes > Record is turned on, you can't delete anything, including paragraph breaks. If you have Edit > Changes > Show turned on and you delete a prargraph break, nothing appears to happen because the deleted paragraph break is still being shown but not being marked as deleted. Turn off Edit > Changes > Show and the paragraph mark should no longer be shown, showing that the paragraph break has actually been marked internally for deletion, but it won't really be deleted until the change is accepted.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

What was not clear about my post?
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum