How to change line spacing

Discuss the word processor
RoryOF

Re: How to change line spacing

Post by RoryOF »

It is to be found in Paragraph Style, on the Indents and Spacing tab. Best to change the main definition of the paragraph style, rather than by /Format /Paragraph, which only changes the current paragraph.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
muffiemae

Post by muffiemae »

I don't understand. Where is "Paragraph Style" to be found? All of a sudden this afternoon, my text suddenly changed to 1-1/2 spaces between lines. I selected some text, went to Format/Paragraph, and it was already set to "Single."

I could make it single space if I clicked Shift/Enter at the end of a short line of text, but that's a lot of trouble! Please help. Thank you.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 7 Pro.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

It sounds to me that the problem isn't with the line spacing, but with line height.
Paragraph Style is under Format -> Styles and Formatting (F11)
Click the tab: Indents and Spacing
Check/adjust the settings on that tab until you find something that you like.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

muffiemae wrote:I could make it single space if I clicked Shift/Enter at the end of a short line of text, but that's a lot of trouble!
Shift-Enter does start a new line, so the problem probably isn't caused by a line spacing setting. If you're seeing the extra space after hitting Enter, then the problem is the spacing above or below the paragraph since hitting Enter starts a new line and a new paragraph. Right-click the paragraph and select "Edit paragraph style...". This opens the paragraph style dialog for the style that is applied to the paragraph. Click the Indents & Spacing tab. The settings for spacing above and below the paragraphs are just above the Line spacing setting. If they are set to anything other than "0", then extra space will be inserted between paragraphs.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04