[Solved] Text Flow Glitch

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Text Flow Glitch

Postby Gruff18 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:13 pm

...I think it’s a text flow glitch... I’ve converted a PDF file to ODT so I can convert it back to PDF. There’s loads of little problems with the typescript now, but the worst one is that sentences end
like this,
as I’ve circled in my screenshot, and when I try by either deletion or backspace to bring the text in line, no go.

No boxes are ticked in the Text Flow tab.

I saw another post on here and tried Select all>Ctrl-C then Ctrl-V into a new OO doc. Problem persists. Also tried revealing formatting marks – no joy.

Am using styles & formatting as instructed, no direct formatting.

Any help greatly appreciated (I suspect it’s something to do with changing from PDF to ODT but haven’t a clue what’s wrong or what I can do about it). Many thanks.
Attachments
OO WTF SCREENSHOT small.jpg
Problem Areas Circled
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Winders 10
Gruff18

Re: Text Flow Glitch

Postby RoryOF » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:31 pm

Using /Format /Styles and Formatting set bottom Bar to Applied Styles, then adjust each paragraph style used to "Justified" (on the Alignment tab). You can convert Paragraph marks (backwards P chars) to spaces, but doing this globally may destroy your paragraphing. Use /Edit /Find and Replace, Find $, Replace <space>, drop More Options and make sure Regular expressions is checked. In F&R pass through your file, pressing Replace when you wish to amalgamate lines, Find when you don't and require to move on to the next paragraph mark.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Bill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:53 am

The large blank space at the end of lines can be caused by non-breaking spaces on the next line. Go to Tools > Options > OpenOffice Writer > Formatting Aids and check the Non-breaking spaces box to display non-breaking spaces with a gray background. Delete the non-breaking spaces and type in regular spaces.
AOO 4.1.6 and LO 6.2.0.3 on Manjaro MATE
Bill
Volunteer

Postby Gruff18 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:41 am

Huge thanks to both of you, will have a go now.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Winders 10
Gruff18

Return to Writer