[Solved] Recovered Document BLANK !

Discuss the word processor
MYWEB56K1@GMAIL.COM

[Solved] Recovered Document BLANK !

Post by MYWEB56K1@GMAIL.COM »

Hello!
I was working on a document and somehow the entire text was deleted and a blank blinking cursor was in it's place of the text, and then OpenOffice locked up.

I used the MAC FORCE QUIT command because the menu revealed OPEN OFFICE NOT RESPONDING.

After restarting Open Office recovery went to work and successfully recovered all documents I had open, however the document I had been working on was still blank!

I found the hidden folder for Open Office backup files (thanks to this forum) and the only document there is the blank one.

Any assistance is of course greatly appreciated. Please email me at myweb56k1 AT gmail.com
Thank you one and all!
God bless and be well!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4. on MAC 10.9.5
robleyd

Re: Recovered Document BLANK !

Post by robleyd »

Your best course of action is to follow the suggestions in [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files
 Edit: Do this as soon as possible to reduce the risk of the temp files being over-written. 
We don't provide one on one support via email in the normal course of events so I've taken the liberty of camouflaging the email address in your post to try and prevent you from getting unwanted mail aka spam.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that if you had not Saved your last document that the computer will think there is nothing to recover.

It is always advisable to name a document as soon as may be (/File /Save as) and Save regularly as one works (Ctrl S is a handy shortcut).
 Edit: Sometimes a miss-keying can hit Ctrl A, which Selects All; the next character typed then replaces all the selected text with that single character (often a space). If this happens, /Edit /Undo, or Ctrl Z (repeated several times) can restore the missing text. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

MYWEB56K1@GMAIL.COM wrote:I was working on a document and somehow the entire text was deleted and a blank blinking cursor was in it's place of the text
Probably because you typed Ctrl+A in error. This selects all the text. The next character (or Return) you typed replaced all the selected text.

If the text has never been saved, by you or by an AutoSave, it can never be recovered because it was held in memory, not disk.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MYWEB56K1@GMAIL.COM

Post by MYWEB56K1@GMAIL.COM »

Hooray! Document successfully recovered!

NEVER SAY NEVER! and THANK YOU ONE AND ALL!

It is CORRECT that I accidentally selected all text and replaced it with a blank page and it auto-saved the blank. Nothing EASY was bringing the information (An extensive Health Diary full of valuable medical research) back. So I had to pull out my BIG GUNS. You see, I operated a Computer Service Business back in 1995 and have a history of also doing EXPERT DATA RECOVERY. I recovered 4 years of financials for AMEX for example.

I AM really GOOD at it, the thing is that doing data recovery of this sort takes HORSEPOWER and TIME. A LOT of time! So I contacted you great people FIRST before dedicating the horsepower and time required to get back what I needed. FAILURE WAS NOT AN OPTION! Since there was no other way I knew of, I set up the equipment and got to work!

So after a couple of days I had what I needed, and I also took your advice and make MULTIPLE backups of this information and store it externally!

You have been a great resource to me. If any of you require my assistance feel free to contact me. I get back data that the so called experts at GeekSquad etc. say is IMPOSSIBLE! Even from totally crashed erased and reformatted drives and media of all types! Just remember, it takes TIME!

God bless and be well!
OpenOffice 4. on MAC 10.9.5