Convert to PDF - How to get 100% same size?

Discuss the word processor
WestNab

Convert to PDF - How to get 100% same size?

Post by WestNab »

I am converting some documents to PDF from ODT files. I find that all the elements on the page are about 90% of the size of the ODT files. Why? How can I get a PDF file with everything the same size as on the ODT document?
LibreOffice 6.0.4.2 on Mac OS X 10.11.6
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: convert to PDF - how to get 100% same size?

Post by Zizi64 »

Where you had noticed this behavior? On the screen or on the printed papers?
Which PDF reader software and version are you using?

I have not noticed any difference of sizes with my LO6.1.6 x64 and the Foxit Reader on Windows7 x64, on the screen, at same Zoom values:
Writer_PDF.png
But I have noticed this behavior with the printed pages with the LO4.4.7 at my workplace. I will try it with LO6.1.6 today.
(Maybe it depends on the physical printable size of the actual printer. Maybe those physical margin values will be added on to the margin values of the electronic document - when you print a PDF, but not added when you print a Writer document.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Is the 90% a comparison of the actual file sizes? eg: the .odt is 100k, but the pdf is 90k? If this is the situation, it's because a PDF file is designed to be as compact as possible in order to make it portable (which is what the P in PDF stands for)
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

How did you exported/converted the PDF version of your document
- by the built-in PDF-export function? or
- by some virtual PDF printer software installed on the operating system?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
WestNab

Re: Convert to PDF - How to get 100% same size?

Post by WestNab »

Thanks for your replies.
Sorry, it seems to be a bug/feature in the XReader (PDF reader) software I am using. :knock:
By the way, although my main computer is an iMac, as in my signature, these documents are being made and printed on LinuxMint 19 using LibreOffice 6.0.7.3.
I was viewing and printing the PDFs using XReader 1.8.5, but in future I will use LO Draw.

More details:
I was talking about physical printed (or screen) size, not file size.
I used the built-in PDF Export.
Zizi64, I thought you were on the right track.
The documents have non-standard margins, to get them, I had to over-ride LO advice that they were outside the print area.
So I have tested with a document modified to have default 2cm margins all round.
But, to my surprise, the document is still reduced in size.
My measurements show the reduction is nearer 91.5% - the reduction is similar on screen (viewed at 100%) and when printed.
But, if I open the PDF in LibreOffice, it opens in Draw and is not reduced in size when viewed at 100% and when printed.
LibreOffice 6.0.4.2 on Mac OS X 10.11.6
RoryOF

Re: Convert to PDF - How to get 100% same size?

Post by RoryOF »

For serious viewing of PDF files a dedicated PDF viewer is best. One can usually change the Zoom factor in such a viewer to get 100% scaling.

What you see on screen is a function of the size of your monitor and of the zoom factor of the PDF viewer. Suppose you have what you call 100% scaling. Now imagine that your monitor is replaced by a projector giving a gigantic picture. Is your scaling 100%? Which is correct - your monitor or your projector?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS