ASCII pop up destroyed my text

Discuss the word processor
Lincon12

ASCII pop up destroyed my text

Post by Lincon12 »

Hello everyone,,
I have been working on a document for about a week. I saved it as a Word doc (version 6) and have opened it successfully several times.

This time, however, I got the ASCII pop up window which showed the document has been saved as a Word 2003 document and when I opened it I got nothing but four pages of hashtags. I have tried most of the English text formats and still got nothing. Is there something I am missing? Or is there a way to retrieve an older version of the file? Or should I just give up and start again?

All help appreciated
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4
RoryOF

Re: ASCII pop up destroyed my text

Post by RoryOF »

A file that opens as ### is damaged - possibly because of over-hasty power off of the computer before the internal buffers in the hard drive had written to disk.

You may be able to recover a previous version of the file - see [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file ;

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS