Changing font to Arial changes to all Caps

Discuss the word processor
imfavoredofgod

Changing font to Arial changes to all Caps

Post by imfavoredofgod »

When I select my whole document in Writer and change the font to Arial, 12 Pt, Regular, it capitalizes all the beginning letters of the words in the document.
Then, if I undo it, all the capitalization remains.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOSX EICapitan 10.11.6
FJCC

Re: Changing font to Arial changes to all Caps

Post by FJCC »

I don't know why that is happening but you should be able to fix it with the menu item Format -> Change Case -> Sentence Case.
I better way to change the font is to modify the Default paragraph style. To do that, select the menu item Format -> Styles and Formatting. Make sure the leftmost icon, which represents paragraph styles, near the top of the dialog is selected. Set the drop down list at the bottom of the dialog to Applied Styles. Right click on the Default style and select Modify. On the Font tab, choose the settings you want.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
imfavoredofgod

Post by imfavoredofgod »

When I try to change the Case to Sentence Case, it changes all of the words within the sentence to lower case and that messes up the formal names within the sentence.

I will try the other fix, but something has to be wrong as I am performing the change to Arial the same way I have always done it, but it is doing this squirly thing now.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on MacOSX EICapitan 10.11.6
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Where does the document originate? Is it your own editing, or is it copy and paste from another source?
 Edit: An .odt file with a short sample would be helpful for diagnosis. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS