Changes

Discuss the word processor
rossm

Changes

Post by rossm »

Hi there,

I am studying using a distance learning provider. I have to frequently submit assignments. The tutor marks the assignments using red text on my original document then uploads the document to the online portal for me to then download it and view her amendments and comments. This was working fine on MS Word. However since moving to OpenOffice, when I open the document all the text is showing in black- i.e. the parts she has added in red are not showing correctly. A such, it is hard for me to know which bits were my tutors amendments and which bits were my original work.

Do I need to enable or disable a setting in order to allow changes to be made by others to my documents? If so how do I do this?

If it helps. I have been saving the document as an .odt file and my tutor has been uploading the amended documents as .odt also so all the same document type being used.

This may be a make or break so if it can't be resolved, I may have to return to MS word.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Ross
OpenOffice 4.1.6. on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Changes

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
I don't know if this will help or not, but you could try changing the setting under Edit -> Changes --> Record

Someone else that uses Writer a lot more may have other suggestions.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
rossm

Post by rossm »

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately I have tried this and it does not seem to have made any difference :(
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Perhaps you need Edit - Changes - Show.

If your tutor marks the assignments by notes rather than recorded changes, and applies those changes to a range rather than an insertion point, there will be trouble. You can try to open your files in the online Word app. WPS Office and LibreOffice also have better support for Word-specific elements, so you could try those for viewing the commented/amended document.
rossm

Post by rossm »

Hi Keme,

Thank you for your response. I also have that ticked and it is not making a difference. I would be happy to try those other software but I feel there must be a solution in OpenOffice, seeing as it professes to be able to read documents created or amended in Word.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Microsoft's support for .odt format is only partial, no matter what MS may tell you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

rossm wrote:[...] I feel there must be a solution in OpenOffice, seeing as it professes to be able to read documents created or amended in Word.
That claim holds true for most documents. However, the support for "foreign objects" is not perfect. I have not experienced it myself, but have seen several reports about inserted "comment objects".
They mostly revolve around the same issue: when a comment is inserted in Word and assigned to a range of text, OpenOffice Writer is not able to open it.

I have tested it on docx and odt documents saved from Word 2016, opening with installed versions of OpenOffice 4.1.6 and LibreOffice 5.4.4.2, and I am unable to force a "comment error". All looks fine, so as you say it "should work" for you too. Not everything is always as it should be.
  • The dogmatic approach is to insist that things be as they should.
  • The pragmatic approach is to try to work your way around things that aren't.
For this case, I recommend the latter.

The tutor's feedback may also have been inserted by different means than comment objects or recorded changes. Until you provide an actual example of a troublesome document, we are just guessing here. I recognize that you may not want to upload your assignment for public access. There are ways to work around that.
rossm

Post by rossm »

thank you for your response. Basically she has literally been adding in her comments as normal text in amongst the text I have written. It's just that she has been writing in red but then when I open the document it is showing in black. So she hasn't been adding it as an actual comment or change just inserting extra text.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Ask her to use a different typeface - say Comic Sans, which wil be clearly recognisable,
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Another guess, then...

See menu item Tools - Options, expand/select branch OpenOffice - Accessibility.
Make sure that the option to use automatic colors (second from the bottom) is unticked.

You may need to refresh the view after changing this setting. Use File - Preview page. Then click "Close preview" on the toolbar.
(Tools - Update - Everything probably won't update the coloring.)