OO Writer constantly recovering not aware of crash

Discuss the word processor
wandadorff

OO Writer constantly recovering not aware of crash

Post by wandadorff »

:!: Open Office writer is constantly asking me if I want to recover documents but I am unaware anything has failed/crashed. Sometimes I have just had the document open recently with no problem and sometimes I haven't yet opened it during the session. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening please? I am also having trouble opening some docs and with freezing in case that helps

OPenOffice 4.1.5. Windows 7
OpenOffice 4.1.5 Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: OO Writer constantly recovering not aware of crash

Post by RoryOF »

Frequently the recovery message is due to over-hasty close down of OpenOffice and/or the computer. Close OpenOffice using /File /Close, then close the computer using the Shutdown procedure; wait about ten seconds after the "OK to shutown" message before cutting the power or closing the laptop, this is to allow the internal buffers of the hard disk flush to the platters.

Do not let your computer sleep/hibernate with an OO documetr open.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wandadorff

Post by wandadorff »

Ooooh, thank you for replying so speedily. I shall use file/close from now on and I am always leaving my computer and it goes to sleep or I put it to sleep (wish i could do that for real grrrrr) so i will abandon that practice. I do notice that Open Office is very slow to do everything so I will be more patient with it.
I think there is something wrong with the computer apart from these problems so that will not be helping.

You are a gem!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice is not abnormally slow (should not be), but because of the complexity of its format, its save takes a little longer than that for flat files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
wandadorff

Post by wandadorff »

Thank you - all noted