[Solved] Is there an online version of OpenOffice?

Discuss the word processor
81Vicky

[Solved] Is there an online version of OpenOffice?

Post by 81Vicky »

I'm trying to make changes and print a document at the library. Unfortunately, they use Google Docs. I can't download and install any programs. When i open my document, I have to make umpteen millions formatting changes by cut & paste and delete & space. That takes forever. I've tried using my Word in my email, that was almost as many changes. Any help?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Is there an online version of Open Office?

Post by RusselB »

Google Docs is compatible with most, though I can't guarantee all, of the functions and abilities of OpenOffice.
It can open and save Open Document Format files.
If you have to make that many formatting changes, then I suspect that you are using direct formatting, rather than formatting styles.
I'd suggest learning how to use formatting styles and use them rather than direct formatting.
You'll probably find that the amount of formatting changes you want/need to make when opening the file in Google Docs is a lot less.
While I haven't had to use Google Docs for my files much, I have had to, and maybe because of the formatting I used (or lack thereof), I've never had to reformat any .odt file in Google docs.

As to the literal topic question, the answer is no.
If you can use a flash drive at the library to hold your documents, then you could use a portable version of OpenOffice. That way no download or installation to the library's computer is needed, yet you can still use OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Is there an online version of OpenOffice?

Post by Zizi64 »

There are many portable versions of the LibreOffice and the Apache OpenOffice. Install (copy) one of them onto your pendrive. If the launching of the softwares is allowed from the pendrive, then you can use it on a Windows 7, 8, 10 machine of the library.

If you have a cloud server account then you can install the LibreOffice Online:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/li ... ce-online/
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The typical causes why a document needs heavy editing when transferred between software platforms:
Use of space or default tab stops for indentations.
Hard line break, or perhaps even paragraph break, to control the flow of an indented paragraph.

Fix: Don't use the enter key except to end a paragraph. Learn to use formatting tools for indentation and other spacing. Learn to use styles to achieve structured use of those settings.

Of course I may be mistaken. If you will, upload a document which has required extensive editing after transfer to Google docs. That would keep me and other helpers from guessing, making it easier to advise properly.
garysch37

Post by garysch37 »

I know this answer is two years late, but I've been searching myself for a solution for multiple people collaborating on a spreadsheet in the cloud, and I have found two implementations of LibreOffice Online: Collabora Office (https://www.collaboraoffice.com/collabora-online/), which is a full collaboration product (including multiple users editing the same online document simultaneously), and the LibreOffice Editor web browser extensions for Chrome & Firefox (https://www.offidocs.com/index.php/prod ... extensions), which I believe only allow single-user-at-a-time editing. LibreOffice is an offshoot of OpenOffice.

Gary
NeoOffice 2.2.3 with MacOS 10.4