[Solved] How to get a .doc form to be detected as such?

Discuss the word processor
spina97

[Solved] How to get a .doc form to be detected as such?

Post by spina97 »

First of all, I am really sorry if my english is not that good as it is not my first language, thanks for your understanding!

I have been searching this for some hours now but the only solution I have seen was for other problems (like LO showing errors as in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34327), also posted on stackoverflow to see if there was any good there but nobody answered so if you find it is because I have asked it myself...

I have this Word form where I have this kind of fields done (I haven't made it myself so I really don't know how it was made or by whom)

Code: Select all

{SET Fechalic { FILLIN "Day of the month - License"\*MERGEFORMAT}}
Date: Fechalic
So it is pretty much obvious that this creates a function called "Fechalic" which is later called. This shows a prompt in word when you press F9

But on LO it will just appear highlighted but is treated as a text field
Do I need to remake every single document (which are more or less 14) or is there any way to do this without having to create a new document?

Thank you very much!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 6.2.3.2 on Microsoft Windows Professional
RusselB

Re: How to get a .doc form to be detected as such?

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
This appears to be one of the situations where MS Word and Writer differ.
Writer and MS Word are similar, but aren't, never have been, and never will be, identical.
This appears to be a VBA macro, which is incompatible with the macro programming language used in OpenOffice/LibreOffice.
There are many posts regarding trying to use VBA macros with OpenOffice/LibreOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
spina97

Post by spina97 »

Thanks for your fast answer!
It is not a macro as no macros are created in that document
It seems more like a compatibility problem with forms
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

In that case, you might try using File -> Wizards -> Document Converter rather than File -> Open to open the file.
I strongly recommend that you make a back-up copy of the original file, and work with that, just in case.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion of possible problems and for reasons why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

You will see that 4. Certain controls and Microsoft Office form fields may cause problems.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
spina97

Post by spina97 »

John_Ha wrote:See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a discussion of possible problems and for reasons why you should always work in and save files as .odt.

You will see that 4. Certain controls and Microsoft Office form fields may cause problems.
I did save it as odt and it still wouldn't work, so am I supposed to re-do all files?
spina97

Post by spina97 »

RusselB wrote:In that case, you might try using File -> Wizards -> Document Converter rather than File -> Open to open the file.
I strongly recommend that you make a back-up copy of the original file, and work with that, just in case.
I tried to export it as odt since the document was created as doc from the start with a Word 2003
I did not use the wizard to export it at first

I did try
1. Opening the file directly on Writer
2. Exporting in Word the file to odt renamed, checking if it still worked in Word and then tried opening it in Writer
3. Used the Wizard in a copy of the file, checked if it still worked in Word and tried opening it in Writer

I am pretty sure that the problem is that I can't get Writer to understand form syntax or something on those lines? I mean, the form does still work on Word but not on Writer
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

spina97 wrote:I did save it as odt and it still wouldn't work, so am I supposed to re-do all files?
1. Save it as a .odt file.
2. Edit the .odt file so it does what you want.

AOO does not support some MS Word form fields so they won't work in .doc or in .odt files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
spina97

Post by spina97 »

John_Ha wrote:
spina97 wrote:I did save it as odt and it still wouldn't work, so am I supposed to re-do all files?
1. Save it as a .odt file.
2. Edit the .odt file so it does what you want.

AOO does not support some MS Word form fields so they won't work in .doc or in .odt files.
So in the end I do need to create them...
It is a shame...
Thanks for your help! Have a nice day!